Baby Corner

Old 10-05-06, 01:39 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 0 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 2%
Question What is your opinion?

As our school system just continues to decline and worsen, and more families are opting for homeschooling, do you think the public education system will be revamped at some point? What are the major issues that need to be corrected in your opinion?

Let's keep this light - not a debate. I was just curious as to what everyone thinks!

Old 10-05-06, 04:13 PM
VIP Member

Location: Originally from PA. Now live in OK. Did, however, spend 5 yrs in HK.
Thanked 129 Times
Weekly Activity 2%

Well, I haven't been in public school since 2nd grade, so I probably don't have much to add to this discussion. However, I can only hope that public schools do get revamped in the very near future, because from everything I hear they're pretty scary these days.

Old 10-05-06, 06:03 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 2%

hmmm...good question, I sure hope so, cause they 'answer' they use now (in my opinion) is to just keep throwing more and more money at it (via higher taxes) and I just dont think that is the answer....parents will need to get mad and take on the govt.

which is always such a PIA that who really knows if it will ever come to be

major issues in my opinion:
-classroom size (which also covers ability to give one on one and that type of thing)
-bullying (and I mean that in the broadest sence from elem. kids who just pick on someone all the way to kids who bring weapons to school and etc)
-here in WA one huge issues for me is the WASL and how teachers are being forced to 'teach to the test' and I think similarily in schools all over what is being taught to the kids isnt always what they need.
-quality of teachers (most teachers Ive dealt with in public school from when I was there to when my boys were there for the short time they were were wonderful, but I did experience and I know others who have as well, teachers who just really dont give a rip about the kids or teaching

)

Im sure I could come up with more but I'll give it a rest for now

Old 10-07-06, 09:37 PM
Community Member

Thanked 18 Times
Weekly Activity 2%

i definitely think that there are tons of things that need to change...parents who expect teachers to raise their kids is a huge problem nowadays that really affects everyone...teachers who pass kids who should be held back because they could care less or just do not want to deal with them...class sizes vs. amount of teachers in the rooms is a huge problem...

Old 10-07-06, 10:11 PM
VIP Member

Location: Originally from PA. Now live in OK. Did, however, spend 5 yrs in HK.
Thanked 129 Times
Weekly Activity 2%

Excellent points, ladies.

Latest Articles
28 Baby Products That Save Time & Make Your Life Easier
After baby arrives, your time will be precious. Here are some of our favorite time savings baby products that are must haves for any Mom. Includes Editor's picks, and favorites from Moms and Dads to help make your life easier.

Babies Understand More Language Than We Think
A new study from the University of Washington shows that babies learn language much sooner than we thought. Learn why it's important to read and talk to your baby early, and often.

Star Pregnancy and Birth Announcements Summer 2014
See the pregnancy and birth announcements for summer of 2014 including Kristen Bell, Jimmy Kimmel, Eva Mendes and more!

Am I Pregnant or is this PMS?
Sometimes it's hard to tell if you're pregnant, or if your period is just coming late this month. Use this guide to help you tell the difference.

The EEOC Updates the Pregnancy Discrimination Act
US Equal Employment Opportunity Commission has revised it's guidelines protecting working pregnant women, and those who wish to become pregnant even more than before.

May 2014 Baby Photo Contest Winner

Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations farul!

Calculators & Tools