Old 05-18-06, 01:24 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 20%
Thumbs up YAY!!

Ok I just had to post because I feel like such a huge weight has lifted off me

yesterday my boys had their first ever evaluation

(as I mentioned in another post, in WA kids over age 8 are required to be evaluated each year by a certified teacher or through testing) anyways we choose to do ours with a teacher. It went SO well

Jake scored at grade level on most everything except reading, which he scored about 1/2 a year behind which I wasn't surprised by because he is legally blind (dont know if Ive ever explained that story but he has vision issues that are non glasses correctable) he can read, but needless to say with the vision issues it is difficult for him and he doesnt enjoy it.....anyways he scored 2 grades ABOVE his grade level in math which was great

then Gavin scored grade level for everything except math which he also scored above on (1 grade level above for him) I was SO happy....if you read my other posts I have been stressing about this evaluation because being our first full homeschooling year we hadnt had one before and I was a little worried I hadnt been keeping them where they should be and etc, even though I knew I probably was it was nice to have it verified. What was really wonderful was the teacher when talking to me afterwords talked about how she noticed Jakob was in her words a "sensitive listener" (he also has ADD) as you might know with ADD they are distracted incredibly easily, and with his vision problem I believe his hearing is even MORE sensitive so it kind of compounds the problem, but basically any noise around him throws him off, she said she noticed when she was explaining things to him she could tell he was listening to the things around him and etc, anyways she told me she thought I had made a really good decision taking him out of public school because she could see where he would have absolutely no chance of concentrating in school where there are so many distractions and etc....there were several reasons for us pulling him out but to hear her say that made me feel really good

ALSO and this is huge, my husband who has always just sort of "gone along" with the homeschooling thing and has always made comments about possibly putting them back in school this morning told me "I just wanted to tell you you're doing an awesome job with the kids" and when I said something about how the teacher thought I made a good decision about taking him out of school he said "you mean WE made a good decision"

I kinda laughed at how it was we now but it is SO nice to finally have him all the way on board and sorry for this rambling post but Im just so SOO much less stressed now!!!

thanks for listening

Old 05-18-06, 03:11 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

Congratulations!!!

It sounds like you are doing a great job!!!

Old 05-18-06, 05:47 PM
Community Member

Thanked 18 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

job well done for everyone!

Old 05-20-06, 09:32 PM
is a Mommy to four now!
Mommy of three

Thanked 442 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

Wonderful review! Its nice to have some recognition for all of your (you and the boys) hard work! You are doing a great job and they are obviously doing very well with you at home.

Laura

Old 05-21-06, 03:18 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

thanks guys

Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

July 2018 Baby Photo Contest Winner
July 2018 Winner
Congratulations Willow!

Calculators & Tools