Baby Corner

Baby, Trying to Conceive and Pregnancy Message Boards

Member Login

Baby Corner Message Board > Parenting Message Boards > Ages & Stages - Tweens (knock on wood) toilet update :)

(knock on wood) toilet update :)

Post Reply Post New Topic  

Old 10-26-04, 10:13 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 20%
Default (knock on wood) toilet update :)

I'm a much happier mommy! Knock on wood, Sean isn't 100% toilet trained, but finally we're making more progress.

First, I have to say, for any frustrated mommy of toilet training, take it from me, I NEVER thought Sean would do it, he's in the 'no' stage, etc, but boy he finally surprised me.

For many weeks now (forget when he started training, I have it written down somewhere) I just picked a day, and put him in underwear. In the beginning it was underwear all day except for his afternoon nap and bedtime he'd wear a pullup or diaper. Well, after a few first pee accidents, I guess he realized I meant business.

Here's my update - for weeks Sean has been peeing in the toilet basically 100% (he only has an accident, rarely, if he doesn't make it to the toilet in time.) But that's rare these days. My only problem was that Sean never would poop in the toilet. He began 'witholding' poop for like a day or two, then poop in his underwear. One evening a week or so ago, I let him run around naked, and he ended up pooping in the toilet on his own (but didn't finish) and finished the poop in his underwear. Then, there's been this past week where he'll poop in his underwear or diaper when he goes to bed, making me change him. Frustrating and gross, I was starting to really get irritated about it. Well, yesterday, he kept running to the bathroom saying 'poop in the toilet' but he wouldn't go. I finally said something like 'you know Sean, if you want to go to school, I have told you that pee and poop always belong in the toilet and not your underwear' I said then something like how it really keeps your bum clean by pooping in the toilet (now, I have said this many times before) but I don't know what it was, but yesterday evening, Sean said 'poop in the toilet' running for the bathroom, me thinking 'here we go again' (meaning, he would sit and do nothing) but I have to go through the motions. So I'm giving my baby a bottle, and got up to go to the bathroom with Sean (as I don't let him go by himself) as he's a troublemaker and he got a bit redfaced like he was pushing, and then he looked back behind him in the toilet and said 'poop is in the toilet' with a big smile. And I was thinking 'yeah right' BUT sure enough! he did it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well, I was thinking, even if he doesn't poop in it again, at least he did it once but then today, from before lunchtime on, here and there he'd say 'poop in the toilet' he'd sit, and do nothing. So I thought he'd do this again, and do nothing, but again this evening after dinner he said 'poop in the toilet' he went to the bathroom, and peed....and then pooped!

Ok, seriously I never thought I'd be excited about someone pooping in the toilet

So the past weeks, since at least early Oct or Sept, he's worn nothing but underwear during the day, even at naptime he wears underwear (I just make sure he pees in the toilet before taking a nap), and at night is the only time he wears a diaper.

I am SO happy! Of course, I know kids can regress, and accidents happen, but I'm hoping he's finally learning that pooping in the toilet makes him not dirty and gross and uncomfortable, and that he gets very positive attention by going to the bathroom and using the toilet.

I'm in no rush to nighttrain him (as for one, he's not ready) he wakes up still with a pretty full diaper so he's not ready anyways.

I think the next step will be (once he ever poops in the toilet all the time) to teach him how to clean himself up. He washes his hands after no problem, but to go to the preschool in our town, he has to be toilet trained, which I believe being fully toilet trained means to have no accidents and be able to clean himself up.

Sorry this was long, but I'm so proud!

Old 10-26-04, 10:23 PM
Long Time Member

Thanked 422 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

That's AWESOME news!
Sarah is about in the same boat.
She no longer has the poop issues - luckily for me that cleared up as soon as I dosed her with the mineral oil.
She just waits until the last minute to go to the toilet to pee and then by then, she's gotten her undies wet (but not her pants). So I started the incentive that if her undies stay dry, she gets a candy. Ahhh, candy works wonders for her But then she was getting TOO MUCH CANDY!
It's all about habit for her I think.... I wonder why this habit is so hard to form??

Old 10-26-04, 11:47 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 245 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

Congrats! Jacob still isn't into it, so we're not messing with it right now. DH and I are planning another go round after Thanksgiving.

Old 10-27-04, 09:59 AM
Community Leader Sherri

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

Great job I am happy for you and Sean!

Old 10-27-04, 11:12 PM
Community Member

Thanked 1 Time
Weekly Activity 20%

That's great! We're getting ready to tackle night times soon.
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools