Baby Corner

Old 10-04-04, 06:29 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 20%
Unhappy Need advice about my dog

have a soon to be 12 yr old toy poodle who is not in good condition. She is overweight. 10 days ago she stopped eating her dog food. She won't eat any dog food I give her. She was eating cheerios and cheese but now she is refusing cheerios. She is having diarrehea and she has a multitude of old age problems.......peeing all the time, drinking too much water, trouble walking, panting, heavy breathing, etc.

I brought her to the vet and he suggested either putting her to sleep or running a bunch of tests that would cost 279 dollars. Money I do not have. Also I am not sure I want to put her through a bunch of tests only to be told that it is terminal and it would be very scary for her. Every day since she stopped eating she is failing worse. Today she sits and shakes off and on. She also has the big round cyst that popped yesterday and oozed blood and pus and today it filled right back up. All she does is sleep and she just doesn't seem to enjoy life.

However, I hate to put her to sleep as I just am not sure that is the right thing to do. Although, I am not sure how much longer she can survive without eating.

I just pray that I am able to make the right decision.

Lisa

Old 10-04-04, 06:43 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

Lisa,
my heart goes out to you. I also have an elderly dog, a 13 year old border collie, that has just began showing signs of her age, i.e. drinking lots of water, can't hold her bladder, etc.
Putting the family dog to sleep is a big and difficult decision. If my dog were failing and improving his life was not viable medically or financially, I would make that decision still with great reluctance but would know it's best for all, especially the pet.

I pray that you will find the right decision for you and your family.

Trisha

Old 10-04-04, 10:36 PM
Community Member

Thanked 19 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

We don't have any pets but that would be a tough decision to make.

Old 10-04-04, 10:59 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

Thanks for your thoughts. I tried feeding her cheese and actually anything and she refused it. She would ALWAYS eat cheese so it is a sure sign she is certainly sick. I keep crying tonight but I know I have to do the right thing.....now I need to get the courage up to bring her and walk out without her.

Lisa

Old 10-04-04, 11:01 PM
Long Time Member

Thanked 422 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

I would definately put her out of her misery. She sounds like her life has ended. If she were human, she'd be in the hospital and 'made comfortable' until she passed on her own. Since she is not human, the options are not as nice usually. I definately would put her to sleep.
(btw, I've had to say goodbye to many of my best friends thru the years for such reasons)
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations Zchuff!

Calculators & Tools