Baby Corner

Old 09-02-08, 09:00 PM
Long Time Member

Thanked 422 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 0.82%
Thumbs down poor Sarah

I took her in to get her blood drawn to check for the other antibodies and see if she has celiac.

I had to tell her in advance what was going to happen. Each time she's had blood drawn up till now, they always did it when she was already knocked out - so she never knew...

so I told her that they were going to take a small bit of blood. She, of course, immediately asked "how are they going to get it out?"

and I had to be truthful...

I told her they were going to stick a small needle in her arm and that it would feel like a small pinch when they did that, but then it wouldn't hurt, and they'd get the blood out thru the needle and into the little vial.

Her eyes welled up and she realized that a needle was a needle no matter which way you sliced it.
I told her that if she was brave, I'd buy her a toy from the store right afterwords (I had to go to the store to get some stuff anyway).
she was okay with that.

So we get to the Drs office and they call her name, we go back and she bravely went to the phelobotomy chair and the phelobotomist then said that it was probably best if I had her sitting in my lap.
So I sat down, she sat on my lap. and the phlebotomist was very nice and did her best to calm Sarah down.
No use. The phlebotomist found the vein to use, and then we were unable to get her to stretch out her arm for us
finally, I figured out how to hold her one arm straight and keep the other hand from moving as well.
They cleaned it and then the needle went in... and she screamed.
the other nurse came in (the one we're used to seeing) and tried to calm Sarah down. Andrew came in to see what all the screaming was about. I tried to calm her - ---
it was no use. She screamed like she was getting her leg chopped off with nary a pause for a breath even.
At least I was able to stay the course and keep her arm straight.

she then decided she'd rather have ice cream for her 'treat' rather than a toy.
so we did that on the way home.

the blood has to be sent to a special lab (there are only 2 labs in the entire US that tests the blood for what we are testing for)
so it'll take about a week for us to get the results back

that she has no other immuno-deficiencies and that she doesn't have any signs of Celiac.

Old 09-02-08, 09:08 PM
Community Member

Thanked 19 Times
Weekly Activity 0.82%

I hope the tests come back negative for Sarah!!!

She was a trooper though getting it done. Julia is pretty good with hit but Kaitlyn is a complete pill.
Thank you Jillian!
skyqueen (09-03-08)

Old 09-02-08, 09:12 PM
is overwhelmed
CL & Mommy 2 Three

Thanked 387 Times
Weekly Activity 49.8%

Poor girl! At least that is over with, hopefully that won't have to happen again any time soon. I also hope this give you some answers either way. DD would have been the same way.
Thank you Valleygirl!
skyqueen (09-03-08)

Old 09-02-08, 09:14 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 245 Times
Weekly Activity 0.82%

Oh- I feel her pain on the blood draw.

I'm the worst about those and I'm a grown up. I have full scale panic attacks when it comes to needles.

Hope the tests come back negative!
Thank you Mellie!
skyqueen (09-03-08)

Old 09-03-08, 11:22 PM
Mommy to One

Thanked 16 Times
Weekly Activity 0.82%

I was cringing just reading your post. Sarah is a trooper. My prayers that the test comes back negative.
Thank you dhortonh!
skyqueen (09-03-08)
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations Zchuff!

Calculators & Tools