Baby Corner logo

Welcome! Register today! | Login
Forums > Parenting Message Boards > Ages & Stages - Tweens >
Sarah's parent/teacher conference...

Sarah's parent/teacher conference...

Reply Post New Topic

• skyqueen skyqueen's Avatar 10-25-06 | 01:26 PM
  • was okay.
    DH went with me (and the kids) and we talked to the teacher for quite a while (there was nobody in the slot after us so we got extra time).

The kids take tests to mark where they are in the reading comprehension levels. (they go thru some special book )
    It was very interesting and I'll say that Sarah was about right in the middle for the test... which was actually above average for most of the kids!
    the teacher didn't seem very impressed with that and she was telling us that Sarah didn't do any sound recognitions until I mentioned that 6 months ago, she didn't know any of her letters because she couldn't sit still long enough for us to read to her until we started her on the medication. The teacher straightened up in her chair and immediately understood that Sarah was making up for lost time quickly since starting her medication.

it was good to know that Sarah has friends in school, but we're going to get the councelor at school involved because the teacher says that Sarah has a violent tendency when she gets angry (which I know all about ) and so the councelor should be able to help her and us.
  • Mellie Mellie's Avatar 10-25-06 | 04:26 PM
  • Sounds like Sarah is on the right track!

Hopefully they will come up with some strategies and plans to help Sarah vent her anger in a more appropriate manner.
  • NicholeMatthew NicholeMatthew's Avatar 10-25-06 | 07:14 PM
  • Since Sarah is on ADHD medication and is exhibiting anger behaviors she should probably have an IEP that will help her in the areas she is lacking. They could have a reading person come in and help her along a bit. Maybe something to discuss with the counselor or the principal.
  • MImom23 MImom23's Avatar 10-25-06 | 08:18 PM
  • I am glad it went better then you were thinking after the teachers comment theother morning.

Was Sarah having issues with her anger managment before she started her meds? i ask this because some of the med out the can cause anger issues. I was a hyperactive child and in 3rd grade they put me on meds that made me suicidal come to find out it was caused by the meds. If not you may want to check with her DR.
  • skyqueen skyqueen's Avatar 10-25-06 | 09:37 PM
  • yes - same anger issues.
    it's not really anger issues... it's the typical anger that you see in kids, but her actions when feeling them is to be violent. And that has always been the case. (Andrew is even worse and he's not even on the meds )