Baby Corner

Old 05-05-08, 12:17 PM
Banned

Thanked 5 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 0%
Default Teaching them to be..

less spoiled? Kevin is spoiled. Yes we are poor and dh has a tendency to over induldge (to make up for his lack of growing up) and so does grandma (again, to make up for her lack of having things growing up) which means Kevin doesn't understand how much his 'wants' costs.

I want to teach him to be more responsible and plan ahead..

How do you teach this to your children?

I'm thinking of letting him spend his piggy bank money when he wants something, but HE must buy it, and not mom and dad.... (and I won't tell him what he can and can not buy unless money wise he doesn't have it or it is not appropriate) So if he wants something he has to save for it....

Also, how do you let them 'earn' money... I mean Kevin gets money from the tooth fairy, and about once a month they get a 'treat' from the store (toy or something) but should I make him work for money? (chores) he's just becoming so spoiled. (this weekend he said he wished he was an only child so we would have more money)

Old 05-05-08, 01:54 PM
~~Sharyn~~

Thanked 575 Times
Level: 4
Weekly Activity 14120%

DH gives the girls an allowance & they must use that & birthday money to buy new toys or whatever they want that I don't think is essential (like underwear ). We don't go shopping much (too difficult with my two!) so they usually save up quite a bit to use.

Old 05-05-08, 02:03 PM
is enjoying life!
Another Perfect Day

Thanked 1,422 Times
Weekly Activity 1620%

Nichole we have a setup of where they earn marbles for their jars if they do everything they are supposed to daily they get 1 marble per night. When the jar is full (if they were PERFECT it would take about 3 weeks ) they get $3. Then if they do extra things like help wash the car, pick up sticks in the yard etc we might give them $.50 up to $1 according to how long they helped out.

Right now each child of mine is saving their money to take on vacation the first week of June. Brent has $22 , Brooke has about $12 and Braedon has about $12. This money is seperate from piggy bank money that money is never spent. Also out of their money they are encouraged to give some each week to church.

Old 05-05-08, 02:07 PM
Banned

Thanked 5 Times
Weekly Activity 0%

That might work, I need to get DH on board with it.

Old 05-05-08, 02:23 PM
Long Time Member

Thanked 422 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

I'm giving them the option of earning $ instead of a trip to ChuckECheeses when my kids fill up their marble jar.

Right now, I told Andrew that I'd buy him his coveted Star Wars Action pack (a pack of action figures) if he fills up his marble jar. I've never EVER seen that boy so motivated
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations Zchuff!

Calculators & Tools