Baby Corner

Old 06-15-09, 06:57 PM
Loving Mommyhood!

Thanked 164 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 20%
Default Pics of Lila & Birth Story

Well, today Lila is already 1 week old! Amazing how time flies!

I'm finally getting enough energy to share with you ladies Lila's birth story. Recovery is going smoothly and quicker than I thought. It will be nice to finally feel 100% like my old self pre-pregnancy. (And not to mention get into all my old clothes!)

Sunday, June 7th I woke up with a pretty intense pain in my abdomen and back around 7:45 a.m. I had been having pain all night long but I would just get up out of bed and use the restroom and go back to sleep. Well after I felt that pain at 7:45 and then again a few more times, I decided to get out of bed and try sitting in the recliner chair. The pain kept coming and going about 10-15 minutes apart and that's when I realized i was in early labor.

Around 2:00 p.m. the contractions were getting more intense and closer together. I tried taking a bath to ease the intensity which worked briefly. My mom and stepdad got to my house around 3:00 p.m. and I had been timing my contractions and seeing a consistent 3-5 minutes apart for about an hour. My mom finally convinced me that it was time to head to the hospital to get checked out and that I was probably having the baby that night.

We got to the hospital and got checked out and I was definitely in active labor and dialated to 4 cm and about 80% effaced. My OB was unfortunately not on-call so I had a different doctor for my delivery. He was not my first choice but what could I do? He came in to see me and said "Well I'm not going to be here much longer, so if you wanna get things going I can break your water but you have to tell me in the next hour." Flustered and shocked, I declined and told him I wanted to progress naturally and I would let them know when I was ready for my epidural.

Next step was in our labor & delivery room. In about 1 hour, 45 minutes, my contractions we so amazingly intense I buzzed for my nurse to check my cervix and I was 6 1/2 cm and 90% effaced. Whoa! That's when I decided to get my epidural, proud that I held on that long, but no longer had the strength to keep going on my own. (And for me, it was great and definitely helped me relax and prepare for the actual delivery). A while later, they came back to check me and I was at 8 cm. But this is where trouble started.

I got stuck at 8 cm but still contracting for 2 1/2 hours. They were concerned about Lila's heart rate and that fact my water had not broken on its own. It was odd that I was still contracting but no longer progressing. So they came in and broke my water. Lila did not like that one bit! They had to eventually put in an internal monitor (which they had to do 2 times because she had so much hair, that it was in the way!) Not much longer later the on-call doctor was back and we discovered she was posterior. It also was beginning to look like I might be having a placenta abruption as well.

At this point, he gave me two options. #1 was looking at possible C-section and #2 was turning her inside me and pushing and using a vacuum and I would have to get an episiotomy. Well I didn't necessarily want either, but I really didn't want the C-section, so I chose option #2. Having a C-section was still a possibility and I knew I had to do whatever it took to make sure my baby girl came out safely. He had to turn her 2 times but on the second time I was finally fully dialated and ready to push. I only pushed for about 30 minutes before they decided it was time to get her out.

It went so fast and felt like only a couple of pushes and Lila Jane was finally introduced to the real world at 1:30 AM on June 8th. They immediately put her up on my chest and I was just amazed at how beautiful my daughter was and all of her hair! My goodness gracious she had a ton of dark hair! My DH, who said he didn't want to see anything, actually watched her come out and even cut the cord. I was so proud of him! (In fact he said he couldn't help but watch the delivery! LOL)

Unfortunately with the episiotomy, I tore and had to have a 4th degree repair. It took a good 45 minutes for the doctor to stitch me up! He actually surprised me with how good he was during the delivery and the repair. It didn't turn out so bad after all!

Lila weighed in at 7lbs 11 oz and 20 inches long. They had to watch her blood sugar levels because of her traumatic delivery but she's all healthy and no problems!

Here's a link to check out some pictures from her arrival and family who came to visit us at the hospital:

We were in the hospital till Wednesday, June 10th. My birthday was June 11th so it was a great present to be home with my baby girl.

Today was our first doctor's visit for Lila. She's already weighing in at 7lbs 14 oz after leaving the hospital at 7lbs 6 oz. Super healthy!! I'll keep you ladies updated on how we are doing from time to time. I wish all of you happy and healthy times during your last few weeks of pregnancy. If you are having you first, really enjoy your time. It's one of the greatest experiences of your life!

Old 06-15-09, 08:45 PM
is the mommy of a 3 year old and expecting #2
Community Member

Thanked 437 Times
Level: 4
Weekly Activity 16620%

Welcome to the world Lila!

Thank you lauralkemp!
wendysue611 (06-16-09)

Old 06-15-09, 09:30 PM
is gonna have 2 under 2!
Expecting our Miracle

Thanked 348 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

She's beautiful Wendy! Congrats.
Thank you hopeful7!
wendysue611 (06-16-09)

Old 06-15-09, 09:32 PM
is tired of sneezing
Mommy to 2 Boys

Thanked 117 Times
Weekly Activity 820%

Welcome to the world Lila. She is beautiful. With both of mine I had a 4th degree episotomy. So I know how you feel. Congrats on your sweet baby
Thank you hklord!
wendysue611 (06-16-09)

Old 06-15-09, 11:27 PM
is proud of my kids!
Josh and Xavier's Mom
"Pregnancy Board Contest Winner!! - 8/1/11"

Thanked 32 Times
Weekly Activity 520%

Congrats!
Thank you lynn012!
wendysue611 (06-16-09)
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools