Baby Corner

Baby, Trying to Conceive and Pregnancy Message Boards

Member Login

Baby Corner Message Board > Parent to Parent > Ask a Question 8 month old eating and sleeping

8 month old eating and sleeping

Post Reply Post New Topic  

Old 01-07-08, 05:46 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 20%
Default 8 month old eating and sleeping

Anyone have any advice on how to get an 8-month old to sleep through the night. He is a very happy baby. He is a big eater. He has never really slept that great from the get go. There has been only 1 week when he was around 6 months that he actually slept from 7:00 pm to 7:00 a.m. But most of the time he will only sleep 3 to 4 hour stretches. I've done everything I can think of. He has always slept in his own bed and he puts himself to sleep all the time. He wakes up at least twice a night and if I give a bottle he will go back to sleep. Is this normal?

Old 01-07-08, 06:02 PM
Long Time Member

Thanked 422 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

twice a night? at 8 months?
No, not normal.
Some babies are allowed to do that, but you can basically force the issue if you really want to (and it sounds like you're done with the sleepless nights and are looking for ways of getting him to sleep thru the night now)

the easiest way (and it's not THAT easy), is to give him a bottle of water when he wakes up. he'll be upset, and he'll probably cry and scream and throw a tantrum the second and even the 3rd night. But pretty soon, he'll decided that if all he gets is water, it's not worth waking up. Usually, all it takes is 7-10 days. 10 days is for the REALLY stubborn kids

when he gets upset, you just rub his back and "shhh shhh shhh" him, sing him a song or whatever you want until he falls back to sleep. Without the milk.

Old 01-07-08, 10:14 PM
is all about the PINK!!!
Proud American Teacher!!

Thanked 652 Times
Weekly Activity 120%

First --

and

to TBC

My first son didn't sleep through the night until 18 months -- it was my fault. I would worry if he didn't wake to eat

so I'd pull him in bed to nurse.

My second son was sleeping through the night at 12 weeks. The difference for me was reading Babywise and sticking to it. It really, really worked well for Tommy.

Sounds like lots is going well for you. Try Babywise -- it may help!

Old 01-08-08, 07:10 AM
is reading!
Rudi - VIP CL & mom of 2

Thanked 681 Times
Weekly Activity 120%

He definitely doesn't need the milk. I'd try Karen's suggestion with the water. Another approach would be to gradually reduce the amount of milk you give him when he wakes. After several nights, he'll decide it's not worthwhile to wake up.

Old 01-08-08, 04:03 PM
is one busy mommy.
Mommy & Trainer

Thanked 155 Times
Level: 2
Weekly Activity 2820%

How frustrating for you. Most babies will sleep through the night by this time, but about 15% of babies aren't doing this yet by one year, for many different reasons.

You can try what the other ladies have suggested to see if it's just a habit for him. But, since you say he has never been a great sleeper, it may just be how he is wired and it may take him a little longer to outgrow his need for midnight feedings and contact with you. Also, the period between 7-9 months is very typical for night wakings in many babies because of emerging motor skills; when they reach a period of light sleep, they subconsciously begin to practice pulling to stand or whatever new motor skill they are working on in the daytime. Try getting "Touchpoints Birth to 3" by T. Berry Brazelton. It's an awesome resource.

Babies will often let us know in their own way when they are ready for "the next step" in something. Hang in there!

Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools