Skip to main content
Baby Corner logo

Welcome! Register today! | Login
Forums > Parent to Parent > Ask a Question >
alcohol issues

alcohol issues

Reply Post New Topic

• alb526 alb526's Avatar 08-28-10 | 01:47 AM
  • Trying to make this short - I have a close friend having serious, rapidly escalating issues with alcohol. She's acknowledged that she knows things are becoming worse, she's drinking everyday, earlier and earlier in the day, and becomes ill if she does not drink. A few weeks ago we got into a stand off over her driving home after a girl's night when one friend tried to physically stop her then called her husband to intervene. She's coming over tmw to discuss what's going on and I'm at a loss. Should I discuss things with her husband and our close girlfriends first, all get on the same page? I've never dealt with this situation before first hand. I want to let her know she is loved and supported but don't want to see her self destruct. Advice, opinions?
  • ~babydoll~ ~babydoll~'s Avatar 08-28-10 | 08:01 AM
  • "I want to let her know she is loved and supported but don't want to see her self destruct."

That sounds like a good place to start. Maybe help her identify some resources, but this is going to take the involvement of other people close to her, and a professional. Good luck.

Thank you ~babydoll~!
alb526 (08-28-10)
  • Dopey406 Dopey406's Avatar 08-28-10 | 09:17 AM
  • Yep, that's a good plan.

My father was an active alcoholic for most of my childhood and only when HE decided that he'd had enough did he seek help. He called me one night while I was at class and when I returned his call later that evening, he told me he wanted help. I immediately picked him up and took him to an inpatient facility. He stayed there for two weeks and hasn't had a drink since. That was October 1999.

I would probably investigate what treatment centers are in your area (this one was at a hospital complex ) and have that information available in the event that she decides it's time.

But the key is that SHE has to decide that it's time...no one can make that choice for her.

You're a great friend and I'm sure that someday she'll realize what a blessing you are in her life.

Thank you Dopey406!
alb526 (08-28-10)
  • Oreo Oreo's Avatar 08-28-10 | 10:50 PM
  • What Deanna said!!!

I'd get everyone together and make sure you are all on the same page.

Thank you Oreo!
alb526 (08-29-10)
  • savannah33 savannah33's Avatar 08-30-10 | 08:52 AM
  • I agree that it's a good sign that she is willing to admit and discuss the issue. I hope by showing you care and are there for her you can get her some help.

Thank you savannah33!
alb526 (08-30-10)

Pregnancy Week by Week Personalized For You
See how your baby grows each week throughout your pregnancy with advice and tips for what to expect.

Enter Your Due Date

Latest Articles

Baby Names for Spring Babies

Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus

Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period

How to Calculate Your Baby's Conception Date

Postpartum Fatigue Busters

Research Links Surprise to Learning in Babies

Dealing With Morning Sickness While at Work