Baby Corner logo

Welcome! Register today! | Login
Forums > Parent to Parent > Ask a Question >
The Aminiocentisis

The Aminiocentisis

Reply Post New Topic

• keptpet 10-13-09 | 02:49 AM
  • I couldnt wait to be pregnant, now Im nervous about

evveryTHING!! What are your thoughts about having this test done, what other options are there to it....

How common are the "cons" to it..... Im 38 and we dont have any history on either side of genetic/chromosone disorders. how accurate are they - my friend was told at the 3way - (what is that....... some one please tellme) her numbers were high... she and her husband decided against it as she said at the point when its done, to elect to terminate wasnt an option.... and she now has 2 children that are fine....
  • savannah33 savannah33's Avatar 10-13-09 | 08:02 AM
  • They do some blood tests and then ultra sounds that give you indicators if you are a higher risk than normal for Downs and other markers.

I personally opted not to do the amnio since with the blood tests and the ultrasound (it's not a regular one it's way more indepth) nothing showed up abnormal. I'm not sure what I would have done if given results that showed there were major problems.

They also do these tests and give you counseling about it so you will be more informed when you get to this time frame in your pregnancy.
Thank you savannah33!
keptpet (10-14-09)
  • lauralkemp lauralkemp's Avatar 10-13-09 | 09:58 AM
  • I considered having it done but I was only 31 when i got pregnant. So my midwife said that if I wanted it I could have it but would it make a difference what the results were(Of course no). I have a genetic birth defect called Crouzon's Syndrome and so does my mom. If I'm over 35 with the next pregnancy then I will more seriously consider it. My mom was 35 when she got pregnant with me. I wouldn't care about the results either way but I could start planning the treatments for it. Highly treatable with massive reconstruction surgery.
  • Sheri Sheri's Avatar 10-13-09 | 11:34 AM
  • I was 35 when I had my last baby. We were concerned about Down's Syndrome, etc so we had blood work, then an ultrasound where they measure the thickness of the baby's neck (an indicator for Down's). Both were fine- so we didn't bother with an amniocentesis.
    I wanted to know, so I could be prepared.

Thank you Sheri!
keptpet (10-14-09)
  • brandimichelle brandimichelle's Avatar 10-13-09 | 12:04 PM
  • I'm sure the "3screen" is the triple screen which is a blood test that detects genetic/chromosomal abnormalities... they aren't very reliable though... from there they usually suggest a level II ultrasound where they look more in depth at markers... and from there if something looks different they would offer an amnio..

Personally... I wouldn't have an amnio.... I didn't even get the triple screen... to me, it wouldn't matter regardless... I would NEVER abort a pregnancy... so it would just be months spent worrying... just my

Thank you brandimichelle!
keptpet (10-14-09)