Baby Corner

Baby, Trying to Conceive and Pregnancy Message Boards

Member Login

Baby Corner Message Board > Parent to Parent > Ask a Question another carseat question

another carseat question

Post Reply Post New Topic  

Old 08-09-10, 10:31 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,117 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 44.29%
Default another carseat question

I have one of the only seats that can keep a 5-pt harness up to like 85 pounds or something. Problem is, I just read on the side of the seat that the LATCH is only good up to 50 lbs, and I need to now use the seatbelt to secure the seat. Well, Josh is at 51 lbs now. We have to switch it, and we've never used the seatbelts to secure the seat.

Any thoughts?

Old 08-09-10, 11:05 PM
is just one of those weird girls.
A work in progress

Thanked 84 Times
Weekly Activity 1.43%

Eh, I'm gonna keep him in his carseat til he graduates HS.

...call the manufacturer.

Old 08-09-10, 11:20 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,117 Times
Weekly Activity 44.29%

We have the carseat book somewhere. I really like the idea that they're all still in 5pt harnesses. I'm sure once we have to take his friends from place to place it'll become reallllly uncool but I don't care.

What I'll need to find is the actual book from our car (which is probably in the glove bo

about LATCH and confirm that 50 lbs is the limit for them.

Old 08-10-10, 12:07 AM
is reading!
Rudi - VIP CL & mom of 2

Thanked 681 Times
Weekly Activity 8.57%

It's true. Most manufacturers require that you discontinue LATCH use and start using the belts at weights over 40 pounds (sometimes 48, sometimes 50). The reason is that the Latch anchors can deform in a severe accident with a heavier child, thereby making him susceptible to injury. Obviously, the seat belt webbing isn't going to deform catastrophically like a piece of metal will when put under force.

If you've never used the belt to secure the seat, it's pretty easy. As long as your car isn't ancient, it should have an automatic locking retractor (ALR) belt. What that means is that when you pull the belt all the way out to its limit, it will start ratcheting as it retracts. So basically put the belt through the area designated for forward facing belt installation, fasten the belt, then pull the retractible end of the belt all the way out. While pressing on the seat as hard as you can, let as much of the belt as possible retract. I usually plant my knee in the seat and put as much of my weight in as possible while grabbing the slack end of the belt and pulling it tight.

It should be fine. A lot of times you can get a better installation with the belt, believe it or not!

Some info about LATCH weight limits:

List of manufacturers with weight limits for LATCH:

Last edited by rudolphia; 08-10-10 at 07:25 AM.

Old 08-10-10, 07:48 AM
is enjoying life!
Another Perfect Day

Thanked 1,422 Times
Weekly Activity 115.71%

Rudi said it perfectly! I was trying to figure out how I could explain it and then read her response!

Braedon is in a booster now along with Brooke and Brent no longer needs anything. It's amazing how fast they grow up!
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools