Skip to main content
Baby Corner logo

Welcome! Register today! | Login
Forums > Parent to Parent > Ask a Question >
Anti-anxiety meds

Anti-anxiety meds

Reply Post New Topic

• 2babygirls 2babygirls's Avatar 11-03-08 | 08:59 PM
  • Anybody take an anti-anxiety regularly? I've been taking Lexapro for a few years but I'd like to try something else. Once in a while I'll get into a funk & can't get myself motivated to work and somebody told me Lexapro did the same thing to them.
  • Patience Patience's Avatar 11-03-08 | 09:25 PM
  • I used to take ativan or klonopin on an as needed basis for anxiety attacks. They are pretty strong though and I only took them if it was a bad attack as a "rescue" drug.

I take Paxil CR as a maintenance drug for my anxiety but am just starting to wean off of it (after almost 10 years).

I hear good things about Wellbutrin and Zoloft for maintenance anti-anxiety/depression drugs.

I know Wellbutrin gives you more of a boost than some of the other SSRI's which sort of slow you down.
  • 2babygirls 2babygirls's Avatar 11-03-08 | 09:43 PM
  • Thanks. I'm going to look up those drugs.
    My issue is that without Lexapro stupid irritating things will start to tick me off & then I start to bite everybody's heads off. One of the possible side effects of Klonopin can be anger issues so I don't want to use that. I had Adivan as a sleeping pill for a while (Klonopin too - I think its double dose for sleeping pill) and it quit working for me as a sleeping pill so I don't think its good for long term use.
  • Patience Patience's Avatar 11-04-08 | 12:24 AM
  • Ativan can be very addictive. I had a few friends who had trouble coming off of it.

Best of luck to you. Anxiety is such a difficult and penetrating illness. I can go years without an attack and then BAM it is like I haven't missed a day with one. My body can go right back to fight or flight mode.
  • TTUAlison TTUAlison's Avatar 11-04-08 | 10:40 AM
  • Quote de Patience
    Anxiety is such a difficult and penetrating illness. I can go years without an attack and then BAM it is like I haven't missed a day with one. My body can go right back to fight or flight mode.

That is so true! I have Ativan to take when I'm feeling anxious. Knowing I have it helps me when I start to feel my anxiety level creeping up.

My issue is that without Lexapro stupid irritating things will start to tick me off & then I start to bite everybody's heads off
    There are so many different anti-depressant/anti-anxiety drugs on the market. You might switch to a different one and see how it makes you feel. I think they all seem to cause different reactions. The other thing that you might try is discussing with your doctor the dosage you are on. Sometimes, changing the dosing a little bit can help a lot too.