Old 09-24-08, 10:14 PM
is having another baby! Holy cow!!
Community Member

Thanked 196 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 0.5%
Default Anyone cloth diaper???

Fill me with your knowledge!

Advice on types/brands/sizing/which ones leak... washing.. drying...etc etc etc! I want to try them, but I need to know the ins and outs first!

Old 09-24-08, 11:13 PM
OMG I have 4 kids! :)

Thanked 12 Times
Weekly Activity 0.5%

I love my cloth diapers! I've used cloth since my oldest was a newborn. She's 4 1/2 now, so all the diapers I bought and used with her, I've also used with Keller (now just over 2 and potty trained except for nighttime) and the twins.

I have unbleached chinese prefolds, fitted snap Kissaluvs brand and Kissaluvs countours. I LOVE the snap diapers from Kissaluvs, but they are a bit pricey compared to prefolds. I actually really like my prefolds too, especially considering how inexpensive they are! I use snappi fasteners with the prefolds. I like the contour diapers except that the Snappi fasteners don't grip as well on them as on the prefolds.

For diaper covers, I've always used Bummis Super Whisper Pants until recently when I bought some of the Bummis wraps, which I really like. I also recently bought and started using some Thirsties brand wrap covers, which I like even better!

For washing, I just toss everything into the washer and do a cold wash/rinse first with small amount of detergent. Then I do a hot wash/cold rinse with small amount of detergent again plus white vinegar in a downy ball, plus 10 - 12 drops of tea tree oil.

Let me see if I can give you some links to some of the things I mentioned if you aren't familiar with them. Obviously, there are tons of different sites out there with these products, I just though I'd give you a visual...

Unbleached Chinese Prefolds:

Kissaluvs fitted:

Kissaluvs countours:

Snappi fasteners:

Bummis Super Whisper Pant:

Bummis Wraps:

Thirsties Wraps:

I really truly love using cloth diapers!

Old 09-25-08, 03:24 AM
is a Mommy to four now!
Mommy of three

Thanked 442 Times
Weekly Activity 0.5%

I loved using cloth! I cloth diapered my girls and will cloth diaper this little one. Prefolds with covers and contours have been covered, so I'll tell you about the other options!

I used fitted diapers and covers. Fitted diapers go on just like a disposable! They have elastic around the legs and back and close with aplix (like velcro, but nicer) or snaps. Then you put the same wrap covers on that you would a prefold or contour diap. They come in Aplix or snap closure. They come in super cute prints and colors and are quite simple to make if you'd like to learn to sew. Many women learn to sew by making cloth diapers. Really even if you mess up or your stitching isn't straight, who cares! You're making butt clothes!

I made mine, and you can buy them also, with a stay dry liner. This makes your babies bottom stay dry even when the diaper is soaked! I never had to deal with diaper rash or diaper rash creams on my girls. They both have very sensitive skin and eczema as well!

Then there are pocket diapers. They are a stay dry inside with a water proof outside. There is an opening in the back where you stuff a prefold or other soaker material in the diaper. Then it goes on totally like a disposable diaper! These are great for grandparents and baby sitters! Place the baby on the diaper and velcro it over so it fits. They are very convenient after you get them stuffed. The removable stuffing helps to shorten the drying time to next to nothing!

Then there are AIO (All in ones). These require no stuffing or anything. They are just like a disposable. You take them out of the drier and put them on the baby. Put the dirty ones in the diaper pail. They are the most convenient for busy parents, but also the most expensive! They also take the longest to dry!

There are cloth diapers for every budget! The fitted diapers I made were what's called a one size fits most diaper. Lots of other diapers are made by size and I'm too lazy for that

The diaps I made fit from about 12 lbs and still fit them at 3 1/2! I did need to make separate covers as they grew, but the diapers stayed the same. Very convenient as I had 2 in cloth for 2 yrs and they could share the same diapers!

There are bazillions of cloth diapering making mamas online. The market is saturated with adorable diapers! I make my own because I'm crazy like that and I needed to save money as my DH was in school when our kids were babies. Now I'll still make them as they are easy and enjoyable. Its the only laundry I like to do

Seeing all the pretty diapers stacked up in so fun! Of course there were time periods of insanity conditions with two babies that the diapers stayed in a basket and I took out what I needed. When I got down to 3 diapers I ran them through the washer. I wash just like previously stated. Its very easy!

You can get really cute cloth wipes, use cheap washcloths or disposable wipes. I've done all of these options at different times. I use plain water for cloth options and I enjoy terry cloth wipes as they grip baby poop really well. Disposable wipes seems to just spread things around in comparison.

Laura

Old 09-25-08, 09:03 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 185 Times
Weekly Activity 3%

I used many kinds, but my favorites by far were good old Chinese prefolds and Fuzzi Bunz pocket covers. I still have a few Fuzzi bunz left over that if they are still good in the elastic I will be glad to send you. I think I have about 3. I do not think they are newborn size, however.

I liked the snapped diapers better than velcro in the beginning, because on my children, the velcro always seemed to turn inwards at the top and chaff their tender skin.

Old 09-25-08, 11:26 AM
is having another baby! Holy cow!!
Community Member

Thanked 196 Times
Weekly Activity 0.5%

Thanks for the great info!! I ordered a couple of pocket diapers with the waterproof lining to try them out

They're sized, but I want to try a one-size diaper as well! Thanks!!
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

July 2018 Baby Photo Contest Winner
July 2018 Winner
Congratulations Willow!

Calculators & Tools