Skip to main content
Baby Corner logo

Welcome! Register today! | Login
Forums > Parent to Parent > Ask a Question >
Anyone with lactose intolerance?

Anyone with lactose intolerance?

Reply Post New Topic

• Valleygirl Valleygirl's Avatar 06-19-08 | 02:34 PM
  • I had it mildly with my other 2 pregnancies, but this time it is awful. I can't have anything dairy, not even a little bit. Just wondering if anyone has any helpful hints or things they do to get by. I am drinking Lactaid, which isn't bad and I found an ice cream that is lactose free, but I am feeling bummed because I can't even look at cheese without my stomach hurting.
  • 2babygirls 2babygirls's Avatar 06-19-08 | 02:53 PM
  • My mom has been for about 10 yrs. She drinks the lactaid milk & takes the otc pills for it. She mostly just avoids milk/cheese & is good at reading labels.

Do a google search for "hidden lactose" and you'll find articles about foods & meds that may have milk in it but called something else.
  • cynthia cynthia's Avatar 06-19-08 | 05:36 PM
  • I feel your pain!!

I am lactose intollerant (became so after our 2nd daugther) and use Lactaid Milk for recipes that call for milk, but other than that I now drink Soy. Now, I actually prefer it!

Hard/aged cheese shouldn't bother you...the aging process actually eliminates the lactose in the cheese. I can eat cheese with no problem.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by cynthia; 06-19-08 at 08:39 PM..
  • cynthia cynthia's Avatar 06-19-08 | 06:47 PM
  • A little more info:

Most of the lactose is removed from the cheese with the whey during the manufacturing process. As a result, most ripened cheeses contain about 95 percent less lactose (.4 to 1 gram per serving) than whole milk (9-12 grams per serving), and less even than Lactaid milk (3 grams per serving), a brand of fluid milk that has most of the lactose specially removed.

Thank you cynthia!
symphony (06-22-08)
  • skyqueen skyqueen's Avatar 06-19-08 | 07:42 PM
  • wow - Cynthia - that's excellent information!

I have one of my girl scout girls who is lactose intolerant and I think it's a recent thing.
    I asked her mom exactly how intolerant she was and her mom didn't even know (like she said that the cheddar goldfish crackers were out

)
    so I did some looking on the internet to exactly what 'lactose intolerant' really is and it made me scared for the little girl. For many people without the enzyme to process the lactose - that means that they can't eat ANYTHING with whey in it. Which... if you look at ingredients. Is a whole lotta stuff.

What are the sources of lactose in the diet?

Although milk and foods made from milk are the only natural sources of lactose, lactose often is "hidden" in prepared foods to which it has been added. People with very low tolerance for lactose should know about the many food products that may contain lactose, even in small amounts. Food products that may contain lactose include:

Bread and other baked goods

Processed breakfast cereals

Instant potatoes, soups, and breakfast drinks

Margarine

Lunch meats (except those that are kosher)

Salad dressings

Candies and other snacks

Mixes for pancakes, biscuits, and cookies
    Some products labeled nondairy, such as powdered coffee creamer and whipped toppings, also may include ingredients that are derived from milk and, therefore, contain lactose.

Smart shoppers learn to read food labels with care, looking not only for milk and lactose among the contents but also for such words as whey, curds, milk by-products, dry milk solids, and nonfat dry milk powder. If any of these are listed on a label, the item contains lactose.

In addition to food sources, lactose can be "hidden" in medicines. Lactose is used as the base for more than 20% of prescription drugs and about 6% of over-the-counter drugs. Many types of birth control pills, for example, contain lactose, as do some tablets for stomach acid and gas. However, these products typically affect only people with severe lactose intolerance.
    it really made me start to wonder if that label lactose intolerance was just a catch-all phrase for Drs when people come in with stomach complaints, kwim?
    The diagnosis gets handed out a little too readily without much of an actual test for diagnosis.