Baby Corner

Baby, Trying to Conceive and Pregnancy Message Boards

Member Login

Baby Corner Message Board > Parent to Parent > Ask a Question Anyone working opposite shifts from dh?

Anyone working opposite shifts from dh?

Post Reply Post New Topic  

Old 09-12-08, 09:46 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,117 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 25.83%
Default Anyone working opposite shifts from dh?

Here's the situation....
I'm trying to lose weight, and I really need to just eat healthier overall.

DH is now working an opposite shift from me, which means that i'm at home by myself with the kids for dinner. They like "kid food." Normally, they are served what we are eating for dinner (the 4 of us) and what they eat, they eat. It seems weird at this point to cook a whole big dinner that only I will eat. OTOH, I do have to cook something for dh to take in his lunch the following day anyway, and I don't want my kids being raised on hot dogs and chicken nuggets alone. I'm also trying to live within a budget too.

So how would you handle this?

Old 09-12-08, 09:56 PM
is overwhelmed
CL & Mommy 2 Three

Thanked 387 Times
Weekly Activity 50.83%

Dh and I do work opposites. What I generally, when I am not pg and eating like a hog, do is cook a normal meal don't eat the pasta/rice/potato portion and wrap it up for Dh to have for his lunch the next day. Of course there are nights like tonight where I didn't feel like much so we had breakfast, bacon and eggs for dinner.
Thank you Valleygirl!
3Princes (09-13-08)

Old 09-12-08, 11:29 PM
~Nightwalker~

Thanked 35 Times
Weekly Activity 0.83%

Hmm...you're boys are younger than mine. I make a meal, if they don't like it...tough. They get a PB&J sandwich. It gets boring after awhile, so they cave in, and have what I make. SO takes leftovers for lunch the next day. Always. Sometimes, he'll just make himself a wrap, if I didn't make anything "special" the night before.

We also live on a budget. I plan my meals every week. I make healthy meals for the kids... if they don't like it, tough. Eventually, they cave in.

When they are young, I'm not as strict, but I do give them plenty of choices, and tell them they HAVE to try something before they say they "hate" it.

If I don't make something SO likes to take for lunch the next day, then tough for him. He can take a PB&J sandwich.

Seriously, though, most of the time I make make plenty for him to take a good meal for lunch, the next day.
Thank you Natascha!
3Princes (09-13-08)

Old 09-12-08, 11:46 PM
~~Sharyn~~

Thanked 575 Times
Level: 4
Weekly Activity 588.33%

My DH likes cold food so he's easy that way. If your kids will eat what you want I'd make what you want most of the time & make enough for your DH for his lunch.
Thank you 2babygirls!
3Princes (09-13-08)

Old 09-12-08, 11:49 PM
~~Sharyn~~

Thanked 575 Times
Level: 4
Weekly Activity 588.33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natascha

Hmm...you're boys are younger than mine. I make a meal, if they don't like it...tough. They get a PB&J sandwich. It gets boring after awhile, so they cave in, and have what I make. SO takes leftovers for lunch the next day. Always. Sometimes, he'll just make himself a wrap, if I didn't make anything "special" the night before.

We also live on a budget. I plan my meals every week. I make healthy meals for the kids... if they don't like it, tough. Eventually, they cave in.

When they are young, I'm not as strict, but I do give them plenty of choices, and tell them they HAVE to try something before they say they "hate" it.

If I don't make something SO likes to take for lunch the next day, then tough for him. He can take a PB&J sandwich.

Seriously, though, most of the time I make make plenty for him to take a good meal for lunch, the next day.
My kids won't cave. They'd rather have PB&J every night or go hungry than eat "normal" food.

I think my neighbors must think I'm torturing my kids at dinnertime with all their screaming when I make them try something.

Thank you 2babygirls!
3Princes (09-13-08)
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

July 2018 Baby Photo Contest Winner
July 2018 Winner
Congratulations Willow!

Calculators & Tools