Baby Corner

Old 09-12-08, 12:28 PM
is is trying to do 100 things at once
Community Member

Thanked 215 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 20%
Default back sleeping

I'm posting this here instead of in the playgroup so I can get answers from everyone! My DD will be 6 mo the 15th and has a terrible flat spot on the right side of her head because she always turns her head to the right while sleeping. During the day it is getting easier to keep her off of it because she can sit in the jumperoo or walker or have tummy time. Is she old enough I don't have to worry about SIDS if I put her on her side or tummy? Both my boys slept on their sides and I just rotated them from side to side to keep their heads from getting all out of shape. From the beginning she has liked to be on her back. I tried putting her head in the sleep positioner and went to check on her b4 I went to bed and she had turned her head to the right and her face was into the side of the positioner. I almost had a stroke. Needless to say I haven't tried that one again. She isn't rolling yet (too fat I think LOL) Anyone else have this problem?

Old 09-12-08, 12:36 PM
is a mother of 2 beautiful kids!
Grounded Dreamer

Thanked 510 Times
Level: 9
Weekly Activity 67520%

Yes, and my DD is only 2 months. She always turns to the right as well and I have noticed that her head is flatter on that side. When she is sleeping, I try to gently turn her hesd to the left side, but she always ends up back on the right. I've tried placing toys and pictures on her left side (of the crib, changing table, etc) to entice her to look that way, but she always looks to the right. Especially if that is where I am, which makes me feel special.

So I tried laying her the other way in her crib so she would look me on the left, but what do you know....all of the sudden the right side of the bumper is VERY interesting to her, lol!
Thank you MrsS1stbaby!
**Jennifer** (09-12-08)

Old 09-12-08, 05:07 PM
is having another baby! Holy cow!!
Community Member

Thanked 196 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

I never had that problem with my DD but I remember someone saying you could put a hat on them with some socks or something stuffed in the side she favours, so it would be difficult for her to turn her head that way.

I don't know that it would be such a good idea, though.
Thank you CarolleZ!
**Jennifer** (09-12-08)

Old 09-12-08, 05:35 PM
Long Time Member

Thanked 422 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

if you put her down to sleep so that her head is where her feet usually are, she'll probably turn her head the other way (away from the wall) and you'll 'even her out' that way.

I had my kids in sleep positioners (on their side) because that's the only way they'd sleep (and other reasons) so as long as you're using good judgement and are careful, then definately do what you gotta do.
Thank you skyqueen!
**Jennifer** (09-12-08)

Old 09-12-08, 07:30 PM
Kids... 24/7

Thanked 265 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

Have you mentioned it to her pedi??

Since she's NOT a really young infant... and can move herself around... I wouldn't recommend any of those special "flat head syndrome" pillow thingies... even though they're pretty tempting!!
During the day, you can roll up a washcloth or a small blanket and stick it over the favored shoulder when she's sitting in the bouncy chair, etc.
And I'd put her head at the opposite side of the crib & see if she'll turn her head naturally!!

Last edited by Heidi1361; 09-12-08 at 07:32 PM.
Thank you Heidi1361!
**Jennifer** (09-12-08)
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools