Baby Corner

Old 11-18-08, 01:57 PM
is is trying to do 100 things at once
Community Member

Thanked 215 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 1.33%
Default best dog for kids?

Our 2 boys have both put in for a dog this Christmas. We haven't decided if we are going to do it or not but wanted some recommendations...we need a dog that is:
  1. good with kids (even small ones).
  2. Good protector,
  3. doesn't require a tremendous amount of exercise. We will walk the dog etc just don't want to have to give it 24/7 attention. I know there are dogs out there like that.
  4. male or female?
  5. I don't want a smelly dog either. I know they have to be bathed but I also know that some dogs just are naturally smelly.
  6. My dh won't have a little yapper dog either so it has to be at least a midsize..
Did I just describe a fantasy dog that doesn't exist?

Thanks for your input? We have never owned a dog

Old 11-18-08, 02:08 PM
is enjoying life!
Another Perfect Day

Thanked 1,422 Times
Weekly Activity 108%

A fake one.

Puppies just take a tremendous amount of time no matter what type of dog they are. If you're really interested in a dog that will not require training and be good I'd suggest going to the Humane Society and checking out the dogs that are up for adoption.

Thank you savannah33!
**Jennifer** (11-19-08)

Old 11-18-08, 02:12 PM
is Living a new type of life
Spring is in the Air

Thanked 523 Times
Weekly Activity 1.33%

I would have to say a Lab or beagle.I know the beagle can be more on the hyper side but they are great dogs.Labs are lazy dogs for the most part,me and my mom have owned them.They are large dogs though.
The humane society have great animals and a good selection of different breeds.
Thank you countrycutieluv!
**Jennifer** (11-19-08)

Old 11-18-08, 02:15 PM
is enjoying life!
Another Perfect Day

Thanked 1,422 Times
Weekly Activity 108%

DO not get a Jack Russell. What PITB our dog is.

I personally love Miniature Dashounds and had the best dog for 11 years. I'd love to have another one. He was great with the kids but I'm not sure if that's 100% normal or not.

Labs are great dogs but big for inside and they are quite a handful as a puppy with tons of energy and will chew you out of house and home.

Beagles are great too but howl A LOT.

Thank you savannah33!
**Jennifer** (11-19-08)

Old 11-18-08, 02:21 PM
is Living a new type of life
Spring is in the Air

Thanked 523 Times
Weekly Activity 1.33%

Yeah NO JACK RUSSELS!!! My best friend has one and he is a weird creature!
I guess my mom and I both got lucky when we got ours(different litters and ages).She never had a problem with hers as a puppy nor with the kids.My lab I got older and he always was WONDERFUL never barked only when needed.He would always lay down and let my kids crawl all over him along with my moms dog.I'm sad to say they both passed but they were the GREATEST dogs.I guess they were both out of the norm.

It's a tough choice to pick a dog they all have great qualities you just need to make a choice on what default you can live with.

Thank you countrycutieluv!
**Jennifer** (11-19-08)
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations Zchuff!

Calculators & Tools