Baby Corner

Baby, Trying to Conceive and Pregnancy Message Boards

Member Login

Baby Corner Message Board > Parent to Parent > Ask a Question Can you help me phrase my thoughts?

Can you help me phrase my thoughts?

Post Reply Post New Topic  

Old 09-06-07, 11:27 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 185 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 120%
Default Can you help me phrase my thoughts?

Kathleen has her one year visit tomorrow. I am choosing not to get her the MMR until she turns 2. Now my decision is based on nothing else but fear. I am scared of the whole autism theory, because of Seth's delays. Even though I knew deep down that he was delayed well before he had the MMR at 12 months. And I personally do not believe that the MMR causes autism!

But I still cannot shake my fear, and I am wanting to wait until Kathleen is more developed before I give her the MMR.

Now how do I explain this to our ped without sounding like an idiot? I tend to get flustered and even boohoo everytime I talk about my fears, so I need a nice pre-thought out statement that he will be able to understand. Because as you can see...I might as well not give her the vaccine because the day of our visit is Friday, based on my reasoning!

Old 09-06-07, 11:34 AM
is enjoying life!
Another Perfect Day

Thanked 1,422 Times
Weekly Activity 1620%

Personally I think what you just said is good enough. Just tell them that you have a fear of the vaccine even though it has not been proven to have a link to Autism but with past experience and your concerns you're going to go with your instincts and just wait till next year.

Old 09-06-07, 11:43 AM
is TIRED! why won't these kids sleep through the night??
Community Member

Thanked 17 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

I just had this talk with Zachary's ped too because my 8 year old was Dx with autism also.
he gave us all medical reasoning and the fact that the shots he was to get didn't have the same perservatives in it and not to worry. even the fact that the % of kids in different countries that DON'T get the same vaccines have the same %'s of kids being DX'd with autism..
i went ahead with the shots.

i completely understand what you are saying though because even though everything he said all made sense...after the appointment i wished i had stuck to my guns and had them scattered...delayed, something...

i would just let him know that you are not looking at NOT giving them to her, just that you want to not give them ALL at one time and would rather the MMR be given later.
good luck!!! i do the same thing, even when prepared to talk about things i'm worried about...i cry!!

Old 09-06-07, 12:05 PM
Kids... 24/7

Thanked 265 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

I'd start out by saying that you DO want her to have all the shots... just seperately. If he explains and explains to you why it's fine to have them combined now... and gives you all great reasons... just say something like "I understand what you are saying logically, but I can't shake the fear that's inside of my heart. I'd like to do the shots seperately."
And maybe he'll shake his head at you, and he'll probably roll his eyes when his back is turned.... but I bet he won't argue anymore.

Old 09-06-07, 12:33 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 245 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

I think Heidi is right- explain that you aren't not giving the vaccine- just delaying it- based on your family's past medical history, it's just something you aren't comfortable with right now (even explaining further that you aren't part of the Autsim-Vaccine Army

)but, the fear you feel is real and in order to do what you feel is best for your child, you're chosing to delay the shot until later.

You might get a little arguement and eye rolling, but it's your child and you get to make the ultimate decision.

Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools