Baby Corner

Old 04-21-09, 09:10 PM
is Back to work :(
Proud SAHM

Thanked 377 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 1.67%
Default Car seat help

DD is tall and she is outgrowing our second seat. She has only been in it about 5 times (she is already 18 months) but we need to have something in dh's car. Eventually when I go back to work in about a year and a half she will probably ride in his car a lot more because of sharing drop offs and pick ups from day care. I have a britax marathon in my car for everyday use so when she outgrows that we will just need a booster in my car.

Right now it is the graco comfortsport she is outgrowing. I was looking at the graco nautilus (about $150)and the britax frontier(about $250). Both convert from harnessed car seats to booster seats and should be the last seat I need to buy for his car. In the graco she can use the harness up to 65 pounds and in the britax up to 80 pounds. Since she is tall for her age but not heavy for her height I am not sure the extra weight makes a difference as she will probably outgrow the harness height before she makes the weight anyway.

Thanks for reading and thanks for any help/advice you can give!!

Old 04-21-09, 09:52 PM
is a Mommy to four now!
Mommy of three

Thanked 442 Times
Weekly Activity 1.67%

The frontier is for 2+ yrs. It sounds like you need something now! I'd get the Nautilus for her. The shoulder heights are a bit higher so she can remain harnessed longer.

Most kids outgrow the seats by torso height then by weight. The Nautilus fits thin kids better then the Frontier which is designed for older kids. The Nautilus is also known for an easier install. I love my Britax seats, but the Fontier just isn't as wonderful as it could be! There have also been issues with the mesh covers currently on the Frontiers and having them look awful quickly. I've done a lot of research on them recently when looking for boosters for my girls when they outgrew their Britax seats recently and trying to decide if I should keep them harnessed or go to a dedicated booster.

Laura

Thank you LAB!
teddybear1082 (04-22-09)

Old 04-22-09, 01:56 AM
Community Member

Thanked 126 Times
Weekly Activity 1.67%

I was just wondering -

That seat is recommended for children up to 40 inches - is she really ready at 18 months to outgrow that for height?

I know the feeling my DD was really tall at that age and she slowed down in height and we didn't have to move her until almost 2 1/2. DD is still at the top of the growth chart and was over 3 feet at 2 years old.

Can you just adjust the straps to take advantage of keeping the seat longer?
Thank you Eskie!
teddybear1082 (04-22-09)

Old 04-22-09, 08:59 AM
is Back to work :(
Proud SAHM

Thanked 377 Times
Weekly Activity 1.67%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskie

I was just wondering -

That seat is recommended for children up to 40 inches - is she really ready at 18 months to outgrow that for height?

I know the feeling my DD was really tall at that age and she slowed down in height and we didn't have to move her until almost 2 1/2. DD is still at the top of the growth chart and was over 3 feet at 2 years old.

Can you just adjust the straps to take advantage of keeping the seat longer?
Hopefully her growth will slow a bit now-thanks for the info! I am doing the research now so I can run out and buy a seat once she definitely needs it. Unfortunately dd is all torso so her ears are almost to the top of the seat and her shoulders are almost up to the straps, so the seat will be unsafe soon-even though she is only about 33 inches.

Last edited by teddybear1082; 04-22-09 at 09:09 AM.

Old 04-22-09, 09:34 AM
is cold!
Mommy of two

Thanked 220 Times
Weekly Activity 1.67%

I agree with Laura - I say go for the nautilus. (They have lots of cute girly covers out now).
Thank you Jen_C!
teddybear1082 (04-22-09)
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools