Skip to main content
Baby Corner logo

Claim to Fame

Reply Post New Topic

• FingersX FingersX's Avatar 06-20-08 | 02:13 PM
  • Where you live or currently live...what is the claim to fame, put the town/city on the Map?

Where I grew up ... Dorothy Hammill kind of paved the way as she learned to skate on the same river I skated on during the winter. There are a lot of celebs (actors and athletes) that lived there when growing up and still are living where I grew up. It's not uncommon to see or hear about someone around town.

The town I currently work in is another...Justin Long grew up here, James Blake.

My current town is very small and it's only claim to fame is being in the same County as those above

• Twinkies_Mom Twinkies_Mom's Avatar 06-20-08 | 02:28 PM
  • Back in my hometown, Roberta Bondar, the first Canadian woman in space, has put us on the map. Also, Wayne Gretzky played OHL hockey in our town.
  • Dopey406 Dopey406's Avatar 06-20-08 | 02:40 PM
  • An Olympic runner is from my hometown (Bob Schul).

Our current town was just awarded one of 4 "Best Hometown" awards by some magazine.

• charmel96 charmel96's Avatar 06-20-08 | 02:50 PM
  • my town is always ranked among the safest cities in america by some organization,has been number one a few times and always in the top 5

and the late tim russert is from buffalo just 2 minutes away

the buffalo bills loosing 4 straight superbowls

and our notorious winters which always manage to get at least a 30 second video clip on every news network and cable
  • skyqueen skyqueen's Avatar 06-20-08 | 02:58 PM
  • good thread!

my very local town has quite a few national acclaimations.

Lewis and Clark discovered this land. They walked on the same soil I walk on.

Fort Vancouver is here. That is monumental.
    It is/was the end of the Oregon Trail.
    The place where the Hudson Bay Company set up and began their fur trade. Later, it became an army post. And it has all sorts of historical tidbits.
    Next to the fort, is Pearson Airfield.
    Which happens to be THE oldest operating airfiled in the united states!!

we have a TON of movies that get filmed (at least partially) here.
    downtown Vancouver gets used in place of downtown Seattle alot for some reason

oh, and does getting showered in Ash from Mt St Helens blowing up count?

while Mt St Helens is an hour away (or less really)
    the wind was blowing our direction when it exploded in 1980 and we were showered with ash. I totally remember the piles of ash on everything and having to wear masks to mow our grass and my dad was

if I rubbed my hand on the car to get the ash off

and if you go to Portland, Oregon (which is just across the river) and the metro area in general, we have a whole lot more of famousness.
    Like... Bruce Springsteen got married in the catholic church (Our Lady Of The Lake) that was literally 3 houses away from my house (at the time I lived in Lake Oswego, OR).
    Ursula Le Guin (the author) lives in Portland, OR and has since 1953.

stuff like that....