Baby Corner

Old 06-20-08, 06:18 PM
~~Sharyn~~

Thanked 575 Times
Level: 4
Weekly Activity 14120%

Judy Garland used to live in this valley. So did (does?) Jack Palance.
They've filmed a bunch of movies near here too. I am pretty certain the warehouse they used in the new Indy Jones movie is near me.

Not too far is a train loop that is supposed to be a great engineering feat. To get the train over the grade it circles around & around. You can see a long train cross over itself as it goes over the mountain.

Edwards Airforce Base is famous for all the test pilots that trained there.

Other than that its just a very dry desert with lots of houses planted in it.

Old 06-20-08, 07:32 PM
is proud of her kids.
.....is rewarded!

Thanked 906 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 220%

where i grew up is home (adopted homes) of Mario Lemuix, sidney crosbey, aand others.

Many movies were filmed there....Monkey Shines,House Guest, Wonder Boys.

The polio vaccine was first tested in our town.

Old 06-20-08, 09:36 PM
Mommy of Twins

Thanked 138 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

Martin Short was born in the city two minutes away from where I currently live. Dave Thomas lived in our town.
Jim Carrey lived about 10 minutes away from here. Some of his family still lives in the area -- his nephew died in a terrible car accident just last year.
An episode of the West Wing was filmed just down the street from where I work and used the home of one of my clients. There's been a few movies shot in our little town.

Old 06-20-08, 10:34 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 185 Times
Weekly Activity 120%

Wilmington, NC has a big ol' sign just at the end of 1-40...Welcome to Wilmington, home of Michael Jordan

And Raleigh was named for Sir Walter Raleigh, but it is more commonly known as the homeplace of Clay Aiken.

Old 06-20-08, 10:57 PM
is all about the PINK!!!
Proud American Teacher!!

Thanked 652 Times
Weekly Activity 120%

Melanie/Charmel mentioned lots about Buffalo already (that's my hometown, too). She didn't say the film "The Natural" with Robert Redford was filmed there as was some of "Bruce Almighty".

Back here in Saratoga, we are known for lots of things --
1.) First place the potato chip was made. The hot ones with cheese are so good!!!

2.) The Battle of Saratoga was the turning point in the Revolutionary War and where the British general Cornwalis surrendered.

3.) Another thing it is world known for is fantastic horse racing in a gorgeous Victorian town. The city is perhaps most famous for the Saratoga Race Course which opened on August 3, 1863. Founded by John Hunter and William R. Travers, it is the oldest continuously-operating Thoroughbred track in the United States.
4.) Home of famous mineral springs and spas that offer mineral baths. Come visit -- the spas are great!
5.) There are several museums in the area, including the National Museum of Dance and Hall of Fame, and the National Museum of Racing and Hall of Fame.

6.) The city is also notable for its vibrant night life. Caffè Lena was one of the first venues in the Eastern US at which Bob Dylan performed, in 1961. Arlo Guthrie played the Caffè early in his career and has returned for occasional benefit concerts. Singer Don McLean is said to have composed his "American Pie" sitting at a table in the Tin & Lint, a bar on Caroline Street

6.) Saratoga Springs is also home to Yaddo, a 400 acre (1.6 km²) artists' community, founded by the great Wall Street financier, Spencer Trask and his wife, the author Katrina Trask. Since its inception in 1900, Yaddo has been home to 60 Pulitzer Prize winning authors and one Nobel Prize winner. Sylvia Plath, Truman Capote, and David Sedaris have all been artists-in-residence.

7.) Famous Saratogians -- holy cow, there are a bunch!!
David Hyde Pierce from Frasier
Dottie Pepper, golfer
Trey Anastasio, Guitarist and Vocalist for legendary band Phish
Steven Millhauser, writer, winner of 1997 Pulitzer Prize.

A few movies like Sea Biscuit and The Horse Wisperer also had scenes filled here.

It is a rich town -- rich in $$$ and in culture and history. I love it!!!
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools