Skip to main content
Baby Corner logo

Welcome! Register today! | Login
Forums > Parent to Parent > Ask a Question >
COBRA help ASAP

COBRA help ASAP

Reply Post New Topic

• alb526 alb526's Avatar 05-01-09 | 03:19 PM
  • Ok - here is the short version....DH got a call last week from him boss that layoffs would soon follow if more work did not come in.

Wednesday his boss called back and said that he was being laid off May 1st. At that time he was told his salary for May 1st would be paid his health care covered through May as normal. His firm covers his premuim and part of the families, the remainder is deducted from his salary.

Today payroll calls to let him know they are deducting the full premuim from today's pay to cover last month and that our coverage is being suspended as of today, May 1st.

DH contacts his boss and to discuss and is told that the firm cannot cover the premium, they are operating a month behind and that to keep the policy in place he must pay $1000 today. Payroll may or may not go through.

This is a very small business, around 10 employees. If anyone has any info on COBRA and how to keep my health coverage in place please contact me ASAP. I am so scared, we never envisioned being in this situation. DH's firm is in Texas, he's been an employee in good standing for 7+ years. To complicate things further we live in Colorado.

I'm currently on bed rest with hypertension, on home health with a picc with severe HG plus complications due to excessive pressure on my cochlear implant.

Anyone HELP!!!
  • SueMulvey SueMulvey's Avatar 05-01-09 | 04:27 PM
  • You should be eligiable for COBRA, and it will be offered through your husband's old place of employment. If it is not he should call his work. Also check into the welfare system, you mentioned having a cochliar implant, check with a chapter of Disabled Americans and see if they can help.

Hope this helps I'll say prayers for you.

Sue
Thank you SueMulvey!
alb526 (05-03-09)
  • 2babygirls 2babygirls's Avatar 05-01-09 | 09:07 PM
  • Gawd I'd be pissed that they said he'd have coverage for the month & then cancelled it! I hope you can get an answer quickly.

Thank you 2babygirls!
alb526 (05-03-09)
  • alb526 alb526's Avatar 05-01-09 | 09:17 PM
  • Thanks for the info and support. It looks like we will be covered under mini-COBRA some states have it, some states don't. Yes pissed, and scared and sad all at the same time. I really think the owner just didn't want to face how bad things were and put off dealing with issues until it was a crisis. Never a situation we thought we'd be in. And thanks Sue I hadn't thought about disability benefits for me in years, I am profoundly deaf with limited speech discrimination - good idea to look into. I have two special needs kids also, which is a huge reason we are in this district where the cost of living is a little higher but the schools are outstanding, it never even occured to me that they may fall within the parameters as well.
  • Heidi1361 Heidi1361's Avatar 05-01-09 | 11:13 PM
  • I would also call your states Department of Human Services & explain your situation & see what other programs you may qualify for!! I'm sure it's a temporary situation & he'll find work again soon enough... but you don't need it to financially ruin you in the meantime!!
    I will

for you too!!

Thank you Heidi1361!
alb526 (05-03-09)