Baby Corner

Baby, Trying to Conceive and Pregnancy Message Boards

Member Login

Baby Corner Message Board > Parent to Parent > Ask a Question "compromised immune system"

"compromised immune system"

Post Reply Post New Topic  

Old 10-15-09, 01:22 PM
is the mommy of a 3 year old and expecting #2
Community Member

Thanked 437 Times
Level: 4
Weekly Activity 16620%

As it was explained to me by the nurse at the health dept.
The live vaccine is shedding so you are constantly giving it off. I could say wear a mask around my DH while he's in ICU but if I don't put the mask on until I get to his room I'm passing all the other patients with suppressed immune systems in ICU and risking giving it to them. An ICU patient is so susceptible to all sorts of things because their body is so busy with one problem it doesn't have the resources to fight other things off.
Thank you lauralkemp!
2babygirls (10-15-09)

Old 10-15-09, 01:54 PM
is proud of her kids.
.....is rewarded!

Thanked 906 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 220%

Great explanations Rudi and Lauralkemp.

It is usually the meds patients with autoimmune diseases are on. I am on high dose steroids/prednisone and that means my body might not fight off a flu as easily or it might mask the symptoms of a virus. Also some people on long term steroids (even after they are off of them) might need an emergency dose when their body is under stress with a cold/flu etc...

Our friend is on Imuran for his Crohn's disease and he has to be so careful as to not get sick from even a cold.

As a person with an autoimmune disease I also worry when I'm not actively on immune suppressants. Since the immune system is so overactive with this condition often even when I am in a remission all it takes is a bad cold that turns into an infection for my body to freak out and start "acting up" and attacking innocent body parts that have no illness or infection. KWIM? It is such a fine balancing act.

I was always a hypochondriac/germaphob but having this disease has meant learning to balance my fears with living my life. I'm still a freak and nag the kids constantly to wash, no nose/mouth/eye contact but I try to remember that life goes on. It is impossible to worry all day about it so I just try to remember that precautions and being prepared are the best we can do.

Lauralkemp, your right. Your DH has enough to fight (as do the other ICU patients) without added risk. Sounds like you are very informed and taking great care of DH and also thinking of the other patients. Sounds like he has a great team around him.
2 Users Says Thank You
2babygirls (10-15-09), lauralkemp (10-15-09)

Old 10-15-09, 10:48 PM
Community Member

Thanked 248 Times
Weekly Activity 520%

I got the same advice, I need to take the inert vaccine not the live mist. It's not a disease process in my case, it's due to steroids and anti-rejection meds.

Old 10-15-09, 11:17 PM
Community Member

Thanked 175 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

I have Graves disease and Im on medication. I was told that I could not get the live vaccine but I would be safe if my kids did get it. The meds are the reason for this, not the disease.
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools