Baby Corner

Old 02-24-10, 01:00 PM
is proud of her kids.
.....is rewarded!

Thanked 906 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 220%
Default dance costume

Ilijana is taking tap and ballet this year. The tap class is comprised of mostly the same kids in ballet class which is right before. It is almost one class but some kids choose to do one or the other.

Anyway, this year since she is in 2 classes we had to pay twice the amount for a costume. Last year we paid about $30 and this year we paid $60. Here is the kicker...the costumes are just one costume and the only additional thing is a pair of white gloves?

Now why the heck did I pay $30 for a pair of cheapo white gloves?

I am guessing the teacher just adds the cost of all the costumes and then divides the cost up among the parents but we don't have the $ to be paying $30 for a pair of gloves.

My question is would you have the nerve to ask the teacher what is up, or just eat the lost money and enjoy the recital?

The costs for the dance school are low compared to other schools in our area, but we still shell out $52 a month for the class and will have to buy tickets for the recital and buy pictures, etc...

I guess I just want an explanation as to why the class has only one costume but paid twice as much for it? If it even came with hair bows or shoe ties or something else to make it more dramatic a difference I might even be okay with it. The only difference between her tap costume and her ballet costume is going to be the removal of gloves.

Old 02-24-10, 01:11 PM
is a mother of 2 beautiful kids!
Grounded Dreamer

Thanked 510 Times
Level: 9
Weekly Activity 67520%

I would ask....not sure how, but I would ask. Me & my little sister took dance growing up and my little sister often had costumes for jazz & tap that were the same costume, only different accesories. (sp?) A lot of times, if it was something simple as adding a bow to the shoes or gloves, the "dance moms" would all agree on 1 place to purchase gloves of their own (so they would all be the same) and they would be a lot cheaper. My mom one year made all the little bows to add to the shoes for tap & sewed straps onto the hats. Everyone helped out or chipped in in some way or another.
Thank you MrsS1stbaby!
Patience (02-24-10)

Old 02-24-10, 01:13 PM
~~Sharyn~~

Thanked 575 Times
Level: 4
Weekly Activity 14120%

I have issues with dance teachers who think these little girls are in some fabulous broadway show and not on stage for 3 minutes.

There is no reason they can't just all have matching leotards and add bows or whatever.

I would just buy a pair of white gloves elsewhere and if the teacher doesn't like it - TOUGH for her.
Thank you 2babygirls!
Patience (02-24-10)

Old 02-24-10, 01:21 PM
is proud of her kids.
.....is rewarded!

Thanked 906 Times
Weekly Activity 220%

Thanks guys. That is cool how the mom's all went together and how yours made the bows.

This school is full of yuppies who have their nannies bring the kid to class. We just go there because it is through the church and is the best and cheapest per month dance in our area. These parents probably don't even wipe their own behinds. LOL!

Problem is I paid up the money as we were told they were two costumes. They won't even let DD try on the costume until we are paid in full. So when she tried on the costume and I saw the $30 gloves my jaw hit the floor.

Had I known I would have just used a pair of play gloves. Geesh what a rip off!

Old 02-24-10, 01:27 PM
is enjoying life!
Another Perfect Day

Thanked 1,422 Times
Weekly Activity 1620%

Our's is combined costumes too. In fact I paid for the 2 costumes back the 1st week of December and have not even seen a picture of it yet.

We won't get it till mid May probably.

The tap / ballet costume is a combined one and cost $80 total. The Acro is a seperate costume and it cost me $50. Last year the only difference between tap / ballet was a headband and some wrist / ankle bands. BUT in our classes you take both tap and ballet or nothing at all so everyone pays the same and it's just considered a costume that you have to have.
Thank you savannah33!
Patience (02-24-10)
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools