Skip to main content
Baby Corner logo

Welcome! Register today! | Login
Forums > Parent to Parent > Ask a Question >
Decorating help needed

Decorating help needed

Reply Post New Topic

• 2babygirls 2babygirls's Avatar 08-31-10 | 01:05 PM
  • Try to picture this: Our living room, kitchen, and dining area are all part of one very large "great room". In the living room area is a large window and glass double doors with the blinds inside the glass. The blinds in the glass are white. The kitchen has a bay window and the cabinet color is medium oak. The dining area has a large window, and there is a tall thin window next to the front door.

Since this is all part of one big room, I think whatever window coverings we get need to match. I know I want cloth roman shades on the 2 large windows and will probably have curtains on the sides too. I don't know about the kitchen windows yet.

My problem is the white blinds in the glass doors - would you change those to match the color of the other windows or leave them white?

And what color would you get? Our walls are white and likely to stay white for a long time. I don't want white roman shades but don't mind white blinds. I was going to get chocolate brown roman shades in our old house but never did order those. I don't think dark brown would look good in the kitchen though - not with the cabinets plus it doesn't seem to match a kitchen.

I'm going to have the same problem with a window and a glass door with white blinds in 2 of the bedrooms but one area at a time...
  • savannah33 savannah33's Avatar 08-31-10 | 01:19 PM
  • I think it would be fine to leave them white. Instead of blinds you could do the wooden shutters. I love that my house has no curtains at all. Every room including all doors (loads of doors and windows) are done in the wooden blinds (white).

Burgandy was the other color I thought of when you described it.
Thank you savannah33!
2babygirls (08-31-10)
  • MrsS1stbaby MrsS1stbaby's Avatar 08-31-10 | 01:38 PM
  • If the doors are white, like ours are with the inside-blinds, I would think leaving them white would look best.
  • 2babygirls 2babygirls's Avatar 08-31-10 | 02:52 PM
  • Quote de savannah33
    I think it would be fine to leave them white. Instead of blinds you could do the wooden shutters. I love that my house has no curtains at all. Every room including all doors (loads of doors and windows) are done in the wooden blinds (white).

Burgandy was the other color I thought of when you described it.
    Do you have white walls with the white blinds? I think if I did that it would be too much white.

I was thinking of a dark red for the shades but I'm not sure if I'm ready for something so intense.
  • imagine imagine's Avatar 08-31-10 | 05:35 PM
  • I think white blinds are fine. since the walls are white. If you make the blinds a different color and keep the walls white the blinds will stand out more. but if you leave them the same color as the walls they will not stand out as much. do you have trim around your doors and windows? And what color is it?
    If you do change the blinds in the future I would see if you can get a color or texture that looks similar to your wood cabinets or the trim around the doors and windows.
Thank you imagine!
2babygirls (08-31-10)

Pregnancy Week by Week Personalized For You
See how your baby grows each week throughout your pregnancy with advice and tips for what to expect.

Enter Your Due Date

Latest Articles

Baby Names for Spring Babies

Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus

Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period

How to Calculate Your Baby's Conception Date

Postpartum Fatigue Busters

Research Links Surprise to Learning in Babies

Dealing With Morning Sickness While at Work