Skip to main content
Baby Corner logo

Welcome! Register today! | Login
Forums > Parent to Parent > Ask a Question >
Do you know which way your ceiling fan should spin??

Do you know which way your ceiling fan should spin??

Reply Post New Topic

• Heidi1361 Heidi1361's Avatar 06-09-08 | 02:08 PM
  • I have to look this up all the time... 'cause I'm not sure if Dh switched the direction or not... and I can never remember which way is for summer & which way is for winter!

So... I just looked it up, AGAIN... here it is..

Summer: counter clockwise
    Winter: clockwise

(there's a little switch on the fan to make it change directions)

Here's their little BLURB about ceiling fans and how they warm/cool a room...

How do ceiling fans cool a room?

A ceiling fan cools a room by creating a "wind chill effect"; it does not lower the room temperature. "Wind chill effect" makes you feel cooler by accelerating the evaporation of perspiration on your skin. It is the feeling you get when you open the window in a moving car. If you have a ceiling fan in a room whose temperature is 80 degrees, running the fan can create a "wind chill effect" that makes you feel as if the temperature is 72 degrees. When used in conjunction with an air conditioner, a ceiling fan can lower energy costs, because you can set the thermostat of your air conditioner at a higher temperature.

How do ceiling fans warm a room?

A ceiling fan can help lower energy consumption in the winter by up to 10%. The temperature of the air in a heated room varies in layers; the air near the ceiling is warmer than the air near the floor, because warm air rises. A ceiling fan can help push the warmer air that is trapped near the ceiling back down into the room, thus "de-stratifying" the layers of warm air. As a result, the warm air is circulated where it is needed, and the heating system does not overwork to warm the room. To properly "de-stratify" a warmed room, the ceiling fan should be run in a clockwise direction. This pushes the air up against the ceilings and down the walls, to gently re-circulate the warm air without creating a cooling "wind chill effect."
  • DanieH DanieH's Avatar 06-09-08 | 02:19 PM
  • I know we actually have it on the opposite right now. DH mentioned it should suck the cool air up instead blowing the hot air down, but I mostly sleep in the LR and like to "feel" the air.
  • Dopey406 Dopey406's Avatar 06-09-08 | 02:30 PM
  • We have ours going clockwise all year round. I like the "wind chill" effect.

• skyqueen skyqueen's Avatar 06-09-08 | 02:44 PM
  • we only use it for the summertime.
    And I HATE having the ceiling fans on in bedrooms

I HATE HATE HATE the wind blowing on me and drying my eyes, nose, and mouth out while I sleep etc.
  • 2babygirls 2babygirls's Avatar 06-09-08 | 05:19 PM
  • I never use the fans in the winter - I don't care if its supposed to be blowing the warm air down...it still makes me cold blowing the air around!

But I do switch it back & forth depending on how much I want it to blow.