Baby Corner

Old 05-25-09, 03:39 PM
~~Sharyn~~

Thanked 575 Times
Level: 4
Weekly Activity 14120%
Default Ebay sellers...

Any advice for me? What is the easiest way to get started? My SIL and I have a lot of stuff we want to try selling on Ebay but neither of us have done it before.

Old 05-25-09, 03:52 PM
Long Time Member

Thanked 422 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 20%

I don't sell on ebay. I do it on craigslist.
Since you're in Calif and Craigslist is HUGE there, I'd suggest trying your hand at that.
That way, you get to keep 100% of the proceeds.

Yeah, you get a few no-shows and people who wanna bargain, but just be clear in your postings that you are 'firm' on a price (if you are) or that you won't hold an item for people and that it's first come first get etc.

It tends to be somewhat of a pain for the smaller items. Those are better left to garage sales --- but for larger items, I'd do craigslist over ebay any day.
Thank you skyqueen!
2babygirls (05-25-09)

Old 05-25-09, 04:20 PM
~~Sharyn~~

Thanked 575 Times
Level: 4
Weekly Activity 14120%

We thought about Craigslist but decided we would rather pay Ebay fees than deal with strange people coming over to the house to buy things. At garage sales people always try to get stuff for less & Craigslist would probably be the same way.

Edited to add: Most of what we have is new or nearly new clothes and shoes. My MIL loved to shop and had a shoe addiction. I have a few other things like an expensive cell phone & DH has some model airplane/train things to cell. I wouldn't try selling any furniture or anything that would be difficult to ship. I actually just gave a bunkbed set and other items we couldn't ebay to the cadet girlscouts in my troup for a yard sale they are doing to earn money for a trip.

Last edited by 2babygirls; 05-25-09 at 04:26 PM.

Old 05-25-09, 05:02 PM
Long Time Member

Thanked 422 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

well, good luck.
I would never buy clothes and/or shoes sight unseen so I would never shop for that stuff on ebay.

I use Craigslist a TON. LOVE LOVE LOVE it and you can meet people at a local store or the mall or whatnot if you don't want to deal with them coming to your house. Way better (to me) than having to box it all up and deal with shipping nightmares.
Thank you skyqueen!
2babygirls (05-25-09)

Old 05-25-09, 06:08 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,117 Times
Weekly Activity 620%

I've had some success on craigslist and some annoyances. I've had great successes at garage sales though. I'm of the mindset that the stuff is just sitting there not getting used, might as well price it so that I get money, AND everyone buys it up and feels like they're getting a deal too.

I know you asked about e-bay, but I've had very little positive experience selling on there. I think nowadays, unless you're doing it full time and are a "power seller" and have the time to play the e-bay games (such as bidding your own items up to what you want them to go for and outbidding others so you get to keep them if you don't like the price blah blah blah) I found it totally not worth it. I had a ton of brand new and hardly used stuff.

I'd try craigslist but make sure you put $50/firm. I had ppl ask me to come down on stuff I felt was very reasonably priced and I told them nope- I have other people coming to look at it. I've met them at wal-mart and such.

My procedure is...
1. Have a garage sale
2. Take rest to once upon a child and see what they'll take
3. List the rest on craigslist

Good luck either way though!
Thank you 3Princes!
2babygirls (05-25-09)
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools