Baby Corner

Old 05-25-09, 07:50 PM
~~Sharyn~~

Thanked 575 Times
Level: 4
Weekly Activity 14120%

I don't even want to meet somebody at a store to sell from Craigslist. Its not worth my time especially if they are late, don't show, or don't buy.

My sister had like 8 large bags of nice kids clothes (really - nice and bairly used) washed & folded that she took to a consignment shop (might have been Once Upon a Child) and they took about 10 items. That was so not worth her trouble!

Shipping isn't a problem - my SIL can send it to her office to be mailed/ups'd out.

I think garage sales are a PITA and not worth it to sit in the sun all day. Last yard sale my SIL had people going thru her garage 2 hrs before it was supposed to start as she was trying to get set up. She had sheets covering what she didn't want sold & people were still going thru it when she wasn't looking.

I figure I can get around the biddng-up games on Ebay buy just setting a minimum price. And if it doesn't sell then it goes to Goodwill.

Old 05-25-09, 08:58 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,117 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 620%

Well, give it a try and see how you do. I think it costs extra to set a reserve. That's why I think I didn't do it. I guess I also just like seeing people thinking they're getting a deal and how happy they are with my nice stuff that they get for "cheap."

I guess it's different what each person considers a pain. I hope it goes well and you can post your success story.

Old 05-25-09, 09:56 PM
is reading!
Rudi - VIP CL & mom of 2

Thanked 681 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 120%

I have sold on ebay for years, and I like it fine. I agree with you that I'd rather not deal with people coming to the house. First thing you want to do is make sure you have a paypal account. That allows you to accept payments using bank account transfers, credit cards, etc. It also gives you access to easily print discounted us mail and ups shipping labels. Then you take a picture of each item you want to sell (sometimes multiple pictures), and list each item. Ebay's system walks you through choosing categories, posting your pictures, etc. I go with the cheapest possible options unless it's a big-ticket item, and start pricing super-low (like 99 cents, for example, for even bigger ticket items). Valuable items get bid up quickly over the week, and items priced high from the start may not get many bids at all. Ebay charges for the listing based on the starting price too, so a low starting prices keeps your expenses down. If it doesn't sell, ebay will let you repost it for free.

A tip - make sure your descriptions are VERY detailed. If it's a new piece of clothing with tags, make sure you say so. Some people won't bid on anything used. Include brand names, sizes, etc., so you don't get a lot of questions from potential bidders. If there's any damage or questionable features, make sure that's clear too.

Once the item sells, ebay gives you an easy way to invoice the winning bidder, and you can print a shipping label with the touch of a button when you receive payment. Drop the package at the post office or UPS drop point, and you're done.

I've gotten some decent money for things I wouldn't have any use for, and it's easy as pie.
Thank you rudolphia!
2babygirls (05-26-09)

Old 05-26-09, 02:02 PM
~~Sharyn~~

Thanked 575 Times
Level: 4
Weekly Activity 14120%

Thanks Rudi for all the info!

Old 05-26-09, 02:18 PM
Community Member

Thanked 108 Times
Level: 7
Weekly Activity 37420%

I've sold on eBay for about 10 years now. My advice:

DO NOT USE PAYPAL. I think it is a rip off and you can get paid via Money Orders.

Look up the same item you're selling to look for the right "buzz words" to use in the description so people can easily find what you're selling.

Take good photos of the item.

Be honest regarding any flaws.

Have and idea on what it will cost to pack and ship, you'll probably get a lot of requests for shipping estimates.

Pay attention to peoples feedback ratings, etc.
Thank you raabta01!
2babygirls (05-26-09)
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools