Old 12-04-09, 09:56 AM
is enjoying the warm weather
VIP Member

Thanked 624 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 17.14%
Question "Into the Wild"

Have you seen it?

I watched it last night with dd Katie. She's been going on about it for weeks now- and wants both the movie and book for Christmas. All I can say is WOW! it really made an impact. I can't stop thinking about it.

Old 12-04-09, 10:14 AM
is just one of those weird girls.
A work in progress

Thanked 84 Times
Weekly Activity 0.82%

I watched it a while back. Great movie, now go read the real story.

Old 12-04-09, 12:40 PM
Community Member

Thanked 108 Times
Level: 7
Weekly Activity 1527.35%

I've read the book and seen the movie (GREAT soundtrack BTW). That kid was REALLY a selfish idiot but it does make for a great story. She should look into John's other books if she liked Into the Wild, he's a great outdoors writer.

Old 12-04-09, 12:47 PM
is just one of those weird girls.
A work in progress

Thanked 84 Times
Weekly Activity 0.82%

Here's the thing that pissed me off about the story (not the movie or book)...if he had taken the time to research and plan out his stay...he would've lived. He was just a few miles away from help. When the zip line broke...if he'd only walked around a little further there was a BRIDGE there. Too bad Alaska has to now deal with the "Christopher McCandless Syndrome". There was an interview with the hippie lady (I can't recall her name) and she was also misrepresented in the movie saying she wasn't estranged from her son at the time...she often worked w/ rescue missions or something and that's how she met Chris.

Don't get me wrong, I really did enjoy the movie...but the true story is a totally different story.

Old 12-04-09, 01:22 PM
is enjoying the warm weather
VIP Member

Thanked 624 Times
Weekly Activity 17.14%

I didn't read anything about a broken zip line or bridge? But apparently there was a cabin nearby loaded with supplies (for hunters, I think). If he had used a map he would have clearly seen it marked on that. This is just tidbits I've been reading on-line.

I'm going to read the book when Katie's finished with it. I can't wait.
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations Zchuff!

Calculators & Tools