Baby Corner

Baby, Trying to Conceive and Pregnancy Message Boards

Member Login

Baby Corner Message Board > Parent to Parent > Ask a Question kids, allergies and pets

kids, allergies and pets

Post Reply Post New Topic  

Old 04-02-10, 11:19 PM
is all about the PINK!!!
Proud American Teacher!!

Thanked 652 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 120%
Unhappy kids, allergies and pets

So, I'll try to make a long story short.

My oldest had his 9 year well check today. We are being sent to an allergist. He had RSV as an infant, has asthma now, and seasonal allergies.

The doctor today also said he has cobble stoning on his throat which is a sign of chronic post nasal drip and irritation.

We talked about how he was fine for a week away from home -- no asthma, no sneezing, no wheezing, no coughing, no meds, no nothing. She thinks he has a home allergy because it all kicked right back in as soon as he got home.

So, we are off to the allergists.

Here's my question -- Has anyone ever had to get rid of their pets (we have two kitties)? My son is already panicked about this. Has anyone had to rip up carpets due to allergies?

If you've made it this far, thanks for reading...
I'm just wondering...

Old 04-02-10, 11:30 PM
is proud of her kids.
.....is rewarded!

Thanked 906 Times
Weekly Activity 220%

When I was young my brother had similar symptoms and my parents did get rid of all the carpets and refinished their hardwood floors. We never got rid of the dog or cat however.

DD's friend had to get rid of one of his cats. The one apparently isn't bothering him. Not sure why.

We have two dogs and our first dog never has caused any problems. I just assumed that meant our new dog wouldn't be an issue. The doc said each breed produces different dander and can cause a reaction.

I would have trouble getting rid of a beloved pet until I was fairly certain that was the cause. If it would keep the kids healthier I would be sad but find the pet a new home.

I have heard that you sometimes can minimize their dander with washing. I think it might be harder with cats though as it is also their saliva and they are always licking themselves.

I hope the allergist can give you some concrete allergens so you know what you are dealing with and don't have to go with trial and error method.

Allergies are the pits. DD is a few weeks away from getting tested. I'm just sick of all the random hives and runny noses and coughing fits after laughing too hard, etc... I really want to know what we can do to help her feel better every day and not just rely on benedryl here and there.
Thank you Patience!
Oreo (04-06-10)

Old 04-03-10, 08:17 AM
is one busy mommy.
Mommy & Trainer

Thanked 155 Times
Level: 2
Weekly Activity 2820%

I have the same symptoms as your son with the chronic PND. My daughter and I were recently diagnosed with severe dust mite allergies, so we are going to be ripping up carpets, etc. very soon. If the allergies are indeed to the cats, there are allergy shots available if he's willing to do it. He may need them anyway.

Good luck!
Thank you ~babydoll~!
Oreo (04-06-10)

Old 04-03-10, 12:25 PM
is A blessed Wife and Mommy
Loving our babies!!

Thanked 795 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

I have allergies and asthma (we have four dogs and a cat) and allergy shots have helped ALOT! They are alot of work at first, but SOOO worth it. Also, if you have carpet- i would suggest getting rid of it and getting hard wood or laminate- it is MUCH better for allergies. We have all laminate and tile and it makes a HUGE difference for allergies and asthma.
Thank you Mark'sbabygirl!
Oreo (04-06-10)

Old 04-03-10, 12:40 PM
is enjoying the warm weather
VIP Member

Thanked 624 Times
Weekly Activity 420%

What about cleaning products?
I was watching the news the other night and after a woman switched to all natural products,her son is off all meds and doesn't go the drs nearly at all.
Just a thought.

Thank you Sheri!
Oreo (04-06-10)
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools