Baby Corner

Old 03-06-09, 10:35 PM
MOM

Thanked 34 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 0.37%
Default marble floors

I am renovating my main floor. This is the only floor (out of 4) at my house that my two large dogs have access to and the hardwood is pretty scratched up. My new furniture is arriving in one week and the guys are coming in on tuesday to get the work done before my furniture is delivered. I have revarnished my floor many times and I start seeing scratches within two months so I don't want to take that route. A few people suggested that I cover the hardwood with laminated flooring in order to protect it and once the dogs die (sad, I know but my lab is 15) I could just remove the laminated flooring and go back to hardwood. Other suggestions were ceramics, dh thinks that is odd and cold but he basically leaves it up to me. Another idea is marble but my mom thinks it's even colder and very slippery and the dogs do come in with wet paws and this floor comprises living room, dinning room and kitchen so accidents will happen. I am also nervous when it comes to ceramics and marble that my 18m old daughter would fall and hurt herself badly. On the other hand marble does look much nicer than a laminated floor but once it is done there is no going back to the hardwood floor. I need to make a decision in the next few days and I'm wondering if any of you have experience with any of these types of flooring options and have any recommendations.

Old 03-06-09, 11:00 PM
Long Time Member

Thanked 422 Times
Weekly Activity 0.37%

definately not marble. It is cold, but moreover very slippery. Marble is not a very practical flooring.

I would actually cover it with a pergo type laminate flooring as it will cause the least damage to the wooden floor underneath (it floats on top) and wait until the dogs die.

Although, I'm not sure why the wooden floor gets scratched up after just a couple months... the wood floors I'm accustomed to last far longer than that before starting to show like they need to be rescreened.

Old 03-07-09, 09:21 AM
Community Member

Thanked 248 Times
Weekly Activity 9.63%

Marble is very cold, very hard and very expensive. I'd go with laminate, their are so many choices and it's so easy to clean and maintain with dogs and kids.
Look are some in home examples to get a feel for what you want. You can even do radient heating beneath the floor for warmth.

Old 03-07-09, 08:02 PM
~~Sharyn~~

Thanked 575 Times
Level: 4
Weekly Activity 261.48%

I hate laminate. It tears too easily and I know its supposed to be patchable but I've never had a patch that didn't look bad.

We've always had tile where we don't have carpeting. Its a bit colder than wood or laminate but it lasts forever. I'm not sure what the difference is in marble or ceramic tiles.

You have a 4-story house??? My knees wouldn't be happy living there!

Old 03-07-09, 09:15 PM
Long Time Member

Thanked 422 Times
Weekly Activity 0.37%

I think my knees would be unhappy in a 4 story house too.

I will state that not all laminate is created equal.
Some laminate does get damaged quite easiy, but some laminate does a great job and is practically indestructable.

I have installed it in one of my rental homes (and the other home already had some in ther) and both homes' laminate is holding up GREAT (and one has had a big dog living in it). And it's been years that it's been in there.
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

March 2018 Baby Photo Contest Winner
March 2018 Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations Wasim!

Calculators & Tools