Baby Corner

Baby, Trying to Conceive and Pregnancy Message Boards

Member Login

Baby Corner Message Board > Parent to Parent > Ask a Question More car seat questions...

More car seat questions...

Post Reply Post New Topic  

Old 06-12-08, 11:18 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,117 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 620%

Well, who knows if I'll even get pregnant, but this is dh's work car. He just got it last year. He has to take the kids to the sitter every day. Other than that, they're not in his car. He needs this particular car because it's a stick shift and he drives 70-75 miles round trip daily and the car is awesome on gas.

Old 06-12-08, 11:48 PM
Long Time Member

Thanked 422 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

i'd definately get a different car.

I would NOT put a child in the front seat. I'd cram all 3 kids in the back seat - infant in the middle.
If the carseats didn't fit, I'd be more inclined to buy a booster seat for the 5 year old that would accomodate the other 2 carseats and keep all 3 in the back seat.

For the Rendezvous - I'd put the 5 year old in the way back. Make them climb over the backseat on their own and teach them to buckle themselves in. (Andrew knows how to buckle himself just fine).

Old 06-13-08, 12:25 AM
~~Sharyn~~

Thanked 575 Times
Level: 4
Weekly Activity 14120%

Question...assuming no airbag and with a proper carseat, is a child that much less safe in the front seat than in the 3rd row seat?

I can understand the middle (normal back) seat being safest because its in the center of the car but the very back of a vehicle with a 3rd row seat has only a small trunk area behind the seat.

BTW, my kids would rather climb over than have me put down the seats to get/in out of the 3rd row.

Old 06-13-08, 12:27 AM
Community Member

Thanked 175 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

I'm about to face this situation myself. We decided to put my third row up, and put the middle seat down in the second row. DD#1 will have to climb into the third row and buckle her seatbelt herself, but then again she is 6 yrs old. DD#2 in a toddler seat will be directly behind the drivers seat, and the newborn will be directly behind the passenger seat. It's going to be a PITA but we'll just have to make do. I'm trying to find some kinda cover for that folded down middle seat so DD doesn't ruin the seat when climbing into the back.

Old 06-13-08, 12:30 AM
Long Time Member

Thanked 422 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

I would guess based on the accidents and cars I've seen (I used to work for a company that sold totaled cars to wrecking yards so I saw 200+ cars a WEEK for well over a year) - that most car damage is in the front end - not the rear.
And that a child would definately still be safer in the rear rear than in the front.
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools