Baby Corner

Baby, Trying to Conceive and Pregnancy Message Boards

Member Login

Baby Corner Message Board > Parent to Parent > Ask a Question More car seat questions...

More car seat questions...

Post Reply Post New Topic  

Old 06-13-08, 12:36 AM
~~Sharyn~~

Thanked 575 Times
Level: 4
Weekly Activity 14120%

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyqueen

I would guess based on the accidents and cars I've seen (I used to work for a company that sold totaled cars to wrecking yards so I saw 200+ cars a WEEK for well over a year) - that most car damage is in the front end - not the rear.
And that a child would definately still be safer in the rear rear than in the front.
Must be that more vehicles get hit in the front part of the car than the rear.

Old 06-13-08, 12:40 AM
is is needing a day off!
Admin Team

Thanked 179 Times
Level: 8
Weekly Activity 49570%

Also, when two vehicles collide head-on the impact is greater because of the combined speeds at collision, whereas in a rear collision the front car is usally also moving forward or is standing still. That makes the the impact less from the rear.

Old 06-13-08, 12:54 AM
is loving her husband and children!
Administrator

Thanked 1,189 Times
Level: 10
Weekly Activity 86070%

I'd put the older kiddo in the way back of the 3rd row car.

And I'd cram all three kiddos in the back of the sedan. My friend drove her three kids around in the back of a Ford Taurus (they were 5, 3, and infant) until she got pregnant with her fourth--then she bought a Suburban!

The kids were tight in the Taurus, but they fit.

Old 06-13-08, 12:58 AM
~~Sharyn~~

Thanked 575 Times
Level: 4
Weekly Activity 14120%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickie

Also, when two vehicles collide head-on the impact is greater because of the combined speeds at collision, whereas in a rear collision the front car is usally also moving forward or is standing still. That makes the the impact less from the rear.
Oh you're smart. I wouldn't have thought of that.

Old 06-13-08, 03:43 AM
is sad
Community Member

Thanked 144 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 20%

we have a seven seat car (a toyota gaia, i don't know a comparable car in the US.) the middle seats move forward. the infant is in the far back (behind the driver). the one-year-old is next to him. both of their car seats are 5-point car seats, the infant faces back. the three-year-old sits in the middle, behind the driver. his car seat fastens with the regular seat belt, so it's not permanently fastened, which makes it easy to move the middle seats (but i hate that car seat with a passion, since he can get out of it easily. *sigh*) i have been driving like this for nearly eight months, it's been really quite easy. once the baby turns to facing front, i may switch sides with him and his sister, since she can climb in and out of her car seat now.

i also wouldn't put a child in the front, even with a car seat and with the airbags turned off. i would try to fit them in best i could next to each other in the back.
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools