Skip to main content
Baby Corner logo

Welcome! Register today! | Login
Forums > Parent to Parent > Ask a Question >
need a new routine

need a new routine

Reply Post New Topic

• 3Princes 09-10-09 | 06:52 PM
  • Those of you who work outside the home and have kids in preschool/school, how do your nights work?

I guess I'm different now because I'm completely on my own with the kids. Before school started, DH and I alternated having the "big meal" of the day with the kids. This way neither of us was "stuck" with cooking every night.

Now, Dh only has both kids at home on Fridays at lunchtime, so it doesn't seem to make sense for him to cook a big meal for himself and one other kid. However, I don't want to be in charge of cooking every night either.

Any ideas???
  • wymeg wymeg's Avatar 09-10-09 | 07:10 PM
  • I am a sahm so I can't really help, I am the lucky one who gets to make dinner every night. But I also am the one who does everything for the kids, homework, dinner, baths, reading, bedtime etc.
    It is nice that your dh helps out like he does.
    I hope you can figure something out that will work for your family!
  • 2babygirls 2babygirls's Avatar 09-10-09 | 07:56 PM
  • Sorry, I'm no help either. I work and have always been the one to figure out dinner.

DH's choices are fast food, cereal, or a bean & cheese burrito (which only he likes).
  • Sheri Sheri's Avatar 09-10-09 | 08:52 PM
  • I would imagine that your weekends are pretty busy??? but could you and dh cook some meals together to warm up later in the week? Or maybe dh can cook dinner on Fridays while he's home so you can reheat it later?
    I do the majority of the cooking here but I'm a SAHM. When dh cooks, it's usually something really easy- nuggets, pancakes, etc.
    I get so tired of planning/cooking meals.

• mac71 mac71's Avatar 09-11-09 | 04:31 AM
  • another SAHM here but when I worked (before Lucy) I did everything anyway so if I was to be working outside the home I have no doubt I would be doing it all as well..all I can suggest is to make some dinners at the weekend and if your weekend is really busy as I'm sure it is maybe just concentrate on making some sauces that could be freezed to make some easy dinners mid week..also if you eat chicken you could cook up a ton of it and shred it and freeze it so you that would cut out making the big part of a dinner. I would suggest to DH to start dinner on the Friday so that would be one day you get a break. My DH works nights so for the early part of the day he is in bed so I'm up early and doing the housework and then in the evening its a rush so I usually cook as I'm quicker at it plus I clean up as I go and DH has never got the hang of that

he does cook one dish a week he's very proud of his chicken curry and it is delish but i have to prep the chicken and end up clearing up after him

men have it easy.