Baby Corner

Old 09-06-07, 10:45 AM
Isabella

Thanked 44 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 1.67%
Default not sure...

I have a newborn and I rock her to sleep at nite b/c I just can't see putting her into bed awake so she can scream. At what point do children go into their crib to "fall asleep" on their own? Does this happen? I am totally clueless on this one. One lady I spoke to yesterday says that her 3 month old goes to bed awake and falls asleep on his own. I have no clue so I thought I would ask. I know at this point (3 weeks) she is still way too early so I have been picking her up to comfort her whenever she needs it. Some people tell me to let her soothe herself but she is little...it breaks my heart to see her cry like that.

Old 09-06-07, 10:57 AM
is cold!
Mommy of two

Thanked 220 Times
Weekly Activity 1.67%

I think I started trying when Cora was about 3 months old - I would rock her until her eyes were just about closed then lay her down in her crib. Sometimes it worked, most of the time it didn't. Cora was a sleep fighter for sure - so for her she didn't end up falling asleep on her own for her naps and at night in her crib until she was around 7 months. I had to let her cry to help her learn to do it though. I always went to her and soothed her every 3-5 minutes (gradually increasing the length when I went to her). The longest she ever cried was 20 minutes (and that's with me going to her twice). That's what worked best for her - I tried just about everything else to get her to learn to self soothe, but nothing worked.

So I say you just have to go with what feels right to you and what works best for your little one. If you don't want to let her cry - then don't! I didn't feel right about letting Cora cry until she was a little older, which is why we waited - but it wasn't easy for me to do. I'm not sure what the average age is for a baby to fall asleep by themselves in their crib. Good luck - and enjoy rocking your little sweetheart.

Old 09-06-07, 11:02 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 185 Times
Weekly Activity 10%

Personally, I hate the whole CIO thing. I say make her safe and happy and secure that Mommy will always be there.

But I do know that every book I have ever read about CIO, says not to do it before 6 months.

Old 09-06-07, 11:25 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 245 Times
Weekly Activity 1.67%

I'd rock/nurse my little ones until they crashed or were almost asleep (and finished eating) then put them in the bed and pat their backs/tummies for a bit to help them get used to being in the bed and sleeping.

As they got older I'd put them down awake (but sleepy) with a pacifier (both my kids were paci kids

) and a snuggle toy then stay by them for a few minutes, patting them or rubbing their heads (my kids loved that

) and when they started to drift off, I'd ease up and walk away. After a while (around 7-9 mo), they got to the point where I could just put them down with their paci/snuggle buddy and let them drift off on their own- they might have fussed a bit before crashing, but no screaming/crying.

Old 09-06-07, 12:09 PM
Kids... 24/7

Thanked 265 Times
Weekly Activity 1.67%

Mommy's instincts are almost ALWAYS right. You know your baby best.
3 weeks is too early to expect her to fall asleep by herself.
I think I started putting my kids down in their cribs when their eyes were fluttering around 4-5mos. They also used binkys!
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools