Baby Corner

Old 09-06-09, 01:16 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,117 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 44.29%
Default Nutella

Do you think that you can have Nutella at a peanut-free school?
It's hazelnuts, and I looked and there are no peanuts in it.
I'm so irritated about this whole peanut-free school thing in the first place, but today I bought some million dollar Nutella and he did eat it. Not as much protein, but less fat and again, he's EATING it.

(Those who have kids with peanut allergies, please don't hate me. I just don't get why the entire school has to be peanut-free for 1 kid with an allergy. I also wish they would have told me this when we registered because I would have seriously, seriously would have looked around more for a different school. My child has issues too, and I feel like they don't matter at the moment.)

Anyway, do you think he can have Nutella at school?

Old 09-06-09, 01:38 PM
is lovin' my sweet girl!
Avery Claire's Mama!

Thanked 700 Times
Level: 2
Weekly Activity 172.86%

I have no idea about the Nutella thing...

HOWEVER....

I get so frustrated and angry about schools telling people they can't send peanut butter to school with their kids.

That is just ridiculous (and I'm sorry if your kids have peanut allergies). Also, they have started saying around here that you cannot send any baked goods to school for fear of peanut cross contamination and no "dessert" at all in their lunches.

This is why I will have to homeschool my kids.... I cannot stand someone telling me what I can feed my kids!

Sorry to hijack your thread Jeanne!

Old 09-06-09, 01:58 PM
~~Sharyn~~

Thanked 575 Times
Level: 4
Weekly Activity 1008.57%

I agree about the peanut thing and am very glad my school is not peanut free. One child with a peanut allergy means the other 800 kids in school are restricted? And no desserts or baked goods is carrying it way too far.

I really do feel for anybody who has to deal with severe allergies, but do not think the rest of the world should have to cater to them. Practially everything you buy now says "processed in a plant with peanuts". How far do you take the restrictions?

Old 09-06-09, 05:27 PM
is a Mommy to four now!
Mommy of three

Thanked 442 Times
Weekly Activity 1.43%

That's a tricky one. I'd call and see. The reason why I'm unsure is my kids friend has a peanut (I think its peanut, it may be another nut though!) allergy. At Christine's birthday party I mentioned to the mom that I didn't get the cake with hazel nuts on it as I wasn't sure if they could cause issues with the little girl. On hearing that the cake was baked in the same kitchen as cakes with hazelnuts, she ran out and brought in an epipen, showed me how to use it and warning signs to look out for! She said something that I don't remember about hazelnuts in particular being "something". It was a long time ago. Anyway, I'd call the school and see.

I hope you can pack it. I love Nutella! Oh, its way cheaper to buy it at Costco. You can get two huge jars for about the same price as one tiny jar at the grocery store.

Laura

Old 09-06-09, 09:55 PM
is ready for some football!!
Michelle - VIP CL

Thanked 793 Times
Weekly Activity 44.29%

I am not sure about the Nutella. Most places that are peanut free prefer to be completely nut free if possible. You could try SunButter. We have used that here and it is pretty good with jelly as a sandwich.

As for the "making the whole school peanut free for just one child" I don't want to go there since my child is allergic to peanuts and it is obvious that I would get blasted for what I had to say on the topic. I am sorry it offends you Jeanne, Brandi, and anyone else that your child can not eat ONE thing for lunch because it could cause a severe allergic reaction resulting in rash, breathing problem, or yes even death for one child with an allergy. My child can not eat lots of things due to his allergies and we try hard not to put people out due to his "disease" or whatever you want to call it and cause as few inconveniences for them as possible but it does happen unfortunately.

Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools