Baby Corner

Baby, Trying to Conceive and Pregnancy Message Boards

Member Login

Baby Corner Message Board > Parent to Parent > Ask a Question "... out of relationship."

"... out of relationship."

Post Reply Post New Topic  

Old 05-30-09, 02:12 PM
Kids... 24/7

Thanked 265 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 20%
Question "... out of relationship."

For those of you who have Dh's with kids from a previous marriage... (and anyone else who wants to chime in

)

How do you refer to those children (let's assume the child in question IS NOT standing right there).

"my step son/daughter"
"my husbands son/daughter/child"
&/or
"my son/daughter"

'Cause see... if my Dh had a child before he met me... that's PROBABLY how I'd refer to the child when speaking of them to others... I'd THINK?!?!

One of my kids friends MOMS was talking to me the other day...
we were talking about her old car... and when she had her last child they had to buy a new one since all the kids didn't fit comfortably. And then she says (something like)
"And then when we had ________ on the weekends, he had to sit in the middle with his arms in front of him... he was so squished."
I said... "Oh, who's _______?" ('cause I knew that wasn't one of her kids)
She said
"Oh, he's my Dh's son from out of relationship."

I think I said... "Oh, I see." (I didn't really know what else to say.)

The way she said it led me to believe that the child was a product of an affair by her Dh. What do you think? And if not, wasn't that a WEIRD way to describe the situation??

Old 05-30-09, 02:20 PM
~~Sharyn~~

Thanked 575 Times
Level: 4
Weekly Activity 14120%

I've never heard the term "out of relationship."

I call DH's sons DH's sons. Mostly cuz the oldest is only 9 yrs younger than me and when I was younger I'd get funny looks if I called them MY sons.

We see his Ex and her mom at family events and everybody is civil. Our girls call his Ex wife and his Ex MIL their Ex-Mom and Ex-Grandma.

Rached decided on those terms and they stuck.

Last edited by 2babygirls; 05-30-09 at 02:22 PM.
Thank you 2babygirls!
Heidi1361 (05-30-09)

Old 05-30-09, 02:21 PM
~~Sharyn~~

Thanked 575 Times
Level: 4
Weekly Activity 14120%

Quote:
The way she said it led me to believe that the child was a product of an affair by her Dh. What do you think? And if not, wasn't that a WEIRD way to describe the situation??
And yes I think that is a wierd way to describe it. Maybe it was from an affair?

Thank you 2babygirls!
Heidi1361 (05-30-09)

Old 05-30-09, 02:43 PM
is enjoying the warm weather
VIP Member

Thanked 624 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 420%

Yeah, it kind of sounds like he had an affair to me.

I don't like the use of "half brother or sister". I don't know why, maybe because there's no such thing as half a person, I guess. LOL
dd Katie refers to my dh as "step dad" but he referrs to her as "my daughter".

I've never heard the term "out of relationship".

Thank you Sheri!
Heidi1361 (05-30-09)

Old 05-30-09, 05:47 PM
is a mother of 2 beautiful kids!
Grounded Dreamer

Thanked 510 Times
Level: 9
Weekly Activity 67520%

I have never heard that term & yes, it sounds strange to me. I have 2 older siblings that are "half" but I always called them my bro & sis growing up, but I am not really sure what my dad referred to them as. They are his step-kids, but I really can't recall what he called them. ??
Thank you MrsS1stbaby!
Heidi1361 (05-30-09)
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations Zchuff!

Calculators & Tools