Baby Corner

Baby, Trying to Conceive and Pregnancy Message Boards

Member Login

Baby Corner Message Board > Parent to Parent > Ask a Question "... out of relationship."

"... out of relationship."

Post Reply Post New Topic  

Old 05-30-09, 06:45 PM
Community Member

Thanked 248 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 37.14%

Wow, you learn something new everyday. I've never heard that one.

We get awkwardness with people assuming our older kids have a different father since ours are so spread out - 17,10, 4 and one on the way. We did split for a couple of years so people get easily confused. Everything was very civil but I remember how harsh it sounded saying "my ex" in front of the kids. There are lot of intro "This is A's father."
Thank you alb526!
Heidi1361 (05-30-09)

Old 05-30-09, 08:20 PM
Long Time Member

Thanked 422 Times
Weekly Activity 1.43%

that's the oddest expression I've ever heard. And have never heard it prior to now either.

I'd say she was defining the child as a product of an affair

And while I would probably not call a child a step-child if they were the product of an affair, I wouldn't call them "out of relationship" either.

"Previous relationship" has been said before, but that would indicate before your time.....

so, I would say "past relationship" to spare feelings.
Thank you skyqueen!
Heidi1361 (05-30-09)

Old 05-30-09, 09:33 PM
is enjoying summer!
Community Member

Thanked 78 Times
Weekly Activity 1.43%

Yup to me that term sounds as though her DH had a child from an affair...strange phrase!
Thank you KJCsabre!
Heidi1361 (05-30-09)

Old 05-30-09, 11:43 PM
is proud of her kids.
.....is rewarded!

Thanked 906 Times
Weekly Activity 15.71%

I guess I was thinking more of a fling (not having to be an affair) before they were together but the child was not a product of marriage or a real relationship. Like a child born from a hook up sort of thing or a girl he used to "date" but wasn't serious with.

Product of an affair sounds so sordid. LOL! I agree that is a really weird way of stating it though. So many people commonly have children out or wedlock either by choice or accident that I'm sure we are going to hear more catchy ways of calling these relationships in the future.

I would say "his child from a past relationship" even if it was an affair. LOL! If it was an affair it sure as hell better be a "past relationship". ;-)

Old 05-31-09, 08:17 AM
Community Member

Thanked 10 Times
Weekly Activity 1.43%

Yes that was strange! My DH adopted my son, so he calls him "my son"
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools