Forums > Parent to Parent > Ask a Question >
paint stamping a 1 year olds hand

paint stamping a 1 year olds hand

Reply Post New Topic

• baby hungry 05-30-08 | 07:17 PM
  • Does anyone have any tips for this?
  • skyqueen skyqueen's Avatar 05-30-08 | 07:49 PM

•  

put an old t-shirt that you don't mind paint on...

sit them in the high chair pushed up to the table and have the high chair have a plastic garbage sack over the seat first....
    make sure the table is 100% washable - if not, cover it.

then

get the paper ready and out of reach in the middle of the table
    Get the paint ready - I put a small amount of paint in a custard cup sized cup and get a big fat crayola paint brush and paint the paint onto their hands.
    It's okay if it gets all over the hand.

Then, the rest is a big mystery

you can try and get their hands to lay flat on the paper on their own -- but that usually takes about 15 sheets of paper before you get a good one.

you can try and force their hands to lay flat -- that usually takes about 15 pieces of paper to get a good one too.

or you can try and play a game. A copy me game....
    you clap your hands together, then slap the table...
    she copies ... slaps her hand together... slaps the table with the paper on it...
    sometimes that works better, sometimes worse

Thank you skyqueen!
baby hungry (06-02-08)
  • Heidi1361 Heidi1361's Avatar 05-30-08 | 09:04 PM
  • I've done it many times with my own kids & my child care kids... with the LITTLE ones, it's all about GETTING READY first!

I always have lots of paper available for prints & re-prints! You can fit about 3 baby hands on 1 piece of paper! (When they dry, just cut out the one(s) you like & glue them to what you're making.)

I paint the child's hand with a paintbrush and let them "rub rub rub" them together as if they're getting ready to wash their hands! I let them "check out" their hands for a bit... and when they seem ready, I put the paper in front of them... I hold their wrist above the paper and simply wait for their hand to open as much as possible & quickly bring it down on the paper. I quickly use my other hand to smooth their whole hand down on the paper... then I lift their wrist!

And SHOW them what they did "WOW... look at THAT... it's your HAND!! What a super job!! Let's do THAT again!!" (and they'll probably be a little more willing to cooperate again)

You also have to have somewhere to put the finished product (while you try another, or while you clean up).

Last edited by Heidi1361; 05-30-08 at 09:06 PM..
Thank you Heidi1361!
baby hungry (06-02-08)
  • Oreo Oreo's Avatar 05-30-08 | 10:20 PM
  • Yup!!!! What they said!!!

Great advice!!
Thank you Oreo!
baby hungry (06-02-08)
  • MImom23 MImom23's Avatar 05-31-08 | 12:38 PM

•  
    But I also do a few dry runs without paint so the kids realize what we were going to be doing.
Thank you MImom23!
baby hungry (06-02-08)

Latest Articles

Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

July 2018 Baby Photo Contest Winner

July 2018 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations Willow!!