Skip to main content
Baby Corner logo

Welcome! Register today! | Login
Forums > Parent to Parent > Ask a Question >
Question for a family member Pregnancy related.

Question for a family member Pregnancy related.

Reply Post New Topic

• countrycutieluv countrycutieluv's Avatar 08-27-10 | 12:32 AM
  • So my sil is pregnant again with another boy from another father and still living with mom....Sorry just a lil rant.

She is due Dec 3rd (same day as her son) and she went to the hospital the yesterday for contractions.They were just slight contractions but found blood in her urine and her uterus is falling forward and down.
    Now I don't speak to her (she has said that we don't know each other well enough to share stuff)

.Anyways her mom my MIL don't know much either.
    There running a test to see if she can go full term...but if this test comes back positive she has to have the baby boy (named after my dh

) in 2 weeks.

I know it could be a number of things but I was wondering if anybody had any ideas. I tried asking my MIL and she has no clue....she didn't ask questions.
    They live in IL. and well I'm in Cali. so I have no way of deducting the possiblilities.

I'm just a little freaked due to the fact my cousin had her baby the first of August 2 1/2 months premeture (Adrianna is doing great and off the tube)

Any ideas would be great on what the heck could be going on with SIL.

• LAB LAB's Avatar 08-27-10 | 01:39 AM
  • I'm wondering if the test is a Ffn test. its the two weeks that makes me think that. if it is, then it checks to see if you have an elevated risk of going into labor in the next two weeks. It's a very common non invasive test when there are problems. I had a positive test at 27/28 weeks and obviously didn't go into real labor. I've had a lot if prelabor problems this time.
Thank you LAB!
countrycutieluv (08-27-10)
  • Patience Patience's Avatar 08-27-10 | 09:41 AM
  • That's what i would guess too. There is a test that tells you how likely you are to deliver in the next 2 weeks. It has a lot of false positives, but is pretty reliable if it comes back negative. This is from 7 years ago though. It might be more accurate now.

I hope she is able to keep the baby in utero as long as possible.

Blood in the urine (if not from the uterus/vaginal area) is typically indicative of kidney problems. She might be having preeclampsia issues but with that there is more likely protein in the urine not usually blood.
Thank you Patience!
countrycutieluv (08-27-10)
  • Dopey406 Dopey406's Avatar 08-27-10 | 10:14 AM
  • Yep, I was going to say Ffn test, too. If it's positive, it is a risk factor for going into labor in the next two weeks but it's NO guarantee.

The blood in the urine is probably a UTI/kidney infection and if she's having pain, maybe she's having kidney stones.

I hope she's able to keep that baby growing.
  • brandimichelle brandimichelle's Avatar 08-27-10 | 10:14 AM
  • I'm a L&D nurse... I would say it's a fetal fibronectin test. That is a vaginal swab we do to DETECT preterm labor. It's like 99.3% accurate if it is negative that she will not deliver within the next two week. They are not as accurate if they are positive because lots of factors can give you a false positive.... sex within 24-48 hours, vaginal exams the previous 24-48 hours, anything at all in the vaginal 24-48 hours, blood, etc etc etc. Doctor's are a little more cautious and aware if it is positive.

The blood in the urine could be from a lot of things... if they didn't cath her for the specimen it's hard telling where it's coming from. If the blood is vaginal bleeding it could be from sex or any number of things, sometimes people will spot here and there and there won't be any explanation for it. If it's really in her urine, blood sometimes will be from kidney stones. Typically doctor's are super aggressive with it as long as everything else is okay (bp, etc)

Hope this helped!

Pregnancy Week by Week Personalized For You
See how your baby grows each week throughout your pregnancy with advice and tips for what to expect.

Enter Your Due Date

Latest Articles

Baby Names for Spring Babies

Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus

Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period

How to Calculate Your Baby's Conception Date

Postpartum Fatigue Busters

Research Links Surprise to Learning in Babies

Dealing With Morning Sickness While at Work