Baby Corner

Baby, Trying to Conceive and Pregnancy Message Boards

Lost Your Password?

Baby Corner Message Board > Parent to Parent > Ask a Question Question Regarding Storm Damage/Ins.

Question Regarding Storm Damage/Ins.

Post Reply Post New Topic  

Old 07-09-12, 03:33 PM
Community Member

Thanked 108 Times
Level: 7
Weekly Activity 1700.91%
Default Question Regarding Storm Damage/Ins.

Well we escaped the storm pretty much unharmed. We had power out for six day and during that time lived in my wife's grandmother's basement. At least we had power and were able to transfer/save the contents of our freezer! 
ffice

ffice" />

We did have one piece of damage. Our neighbors (seemingly healthy) tree fell onto our kids brand new playground! It was on the fence line and about 95% of his tree is now in our backyard.

The worst part; his insurance is saying they will ONLY cover the portion of the tree that is on his property and his fence!

The play set will cost $1000 to replace. My ins. deductable is $1000. So either way it's going to cost $1000. He has not offered to help out financially.

Do you guys feel that there is any moral obligation on his part to pay for at least a portion of the damage? I know if roles were reversed I'd feel responsible and want to rectify things as best I could. I've never had any problems with him before but I'm afraid this could make trouble.

What do you guys think??

Old 07-10-12, 12:32 PM
~~Sharyn~~

Thanked 575 Times
Level: 4
Weekly Activity 641.82%

I'm surprised if the law is that his insurance company only has to pay for the part on his property. Does not seem equitable at all. I wonder if it is true or if his insurance co is just counting on you not following up?

I know you want to stay friendly with your neighbor but it was a brand new expensive playset so i'd probably try to get him to pay for it. Its different if it was only a few $100 for patio furniture or something.

Glad life wasn't completely miserable without electricity. Hope it doesn't happen again!

Old 07-10-12, 04:44 PM
~~Sharyn~~

Thanked 575 Times
Level: 4
Weekly Activity 641.82%

Well shoot I googled it and it all said you are responsible for the tree on your side unless your neighbor was negligent because it happened by an act of nature.

Old 07-11-12, 03:26 PM
Community Member

Thanked 108 Times
Level: 7
Weekly Activity 1700.91%

I'm not sure. My dad talked to a lawyer and he said the neighbor is liable and that we could sue him, keep in mind the guy is a lawyer and he sues people for a living! I don't know, I also have to live next door to this guy for a while, so I don't want to make this a bigger deal than is has to be.

Old 07-11-12, 10:25 PM
is a mother of 2 beautiful kids!
Grounded Dreamer

Thanked 510 Times
Level: 9
Weekly Activity 3069.09%

What your insurance agent said? I've had a friend deal with something like this, but it was so long ago I don't remember what they ended up doing. I remembering it being a big deal who was going to pay to have the tree removed- the person where the tree had been or the person where the tree had fallen? Sorry I can't remember any details!

Latest Articles
Benefits of Breastfeeding For a Year or Longer
Only 27% of mothers breastfeed their babies for one year, even though there are benefits abound. Learn the benefits of nursing your baby for a year or longer for both your baby, and for yourself.

October 2014 Celebrity Births and Pregnancy Announcements
Get the latest celebrity baby gossip including who recently has a baby, and who has just announced their expecting, in our monthly celebrity baby and pregnancy update.

2014 High Chair Buying Guide
If you are not sure which high chair to buy for your baby, take a look at our recommendations that are safe, and easy to use.

10 Car Seat Mistakes Most Parents Make
Studies show that many parents make these 10 common mistakes. Find out how to make sure your baby's car seat is safe.

Interpreting Your Pregnancy Dreams
Many pregnant women experience strange dreams that seem to come out of nowhere. Find out what your dreams during pregnancy might mean.

September 2014 Baby Photo Contest Winner

Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations romasa!

Calculators & Tools