Baby Corner

Baby, Trying to Conceive and Pregnancy Message Boards

Member Login

Baby Corner Message Board > Parent to Parent > Ask a Question question for sahm's with young babies

question for sahm's with young babies

Post Reply Post New Topic  

Old 12-08-08, 08:36 AM
is lovin her sweet baby girl
Therese, mama 2 Lucy

Thanked 280 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 0.37%
Default question for sahm's with young babies

This might seem strange to ask but what to you do with your babies/toddlers during the day?

Lucy is 9.5mths and is getting a little more active. She is in her walker and loves to be mobile but obviously I need to be with her anytime she is in the walker and I can't seem to get time to do anything. If I put her on the floor she is getting bored very easily which I know is probably normal but its getting frustrating for me not to be able to do small stuff around the house. Do you find that happens in your home? any suggestions on how to keep a young baby occupied even for 5 mins

I've picked up some more grown up toys last week as she was getting bored with the soft toys and chewy toys but I would like some ideas on some games/activities to play with her. I hate to put the tv on as its against everything I said I would never do but I have put in on as a last resort and she loves it but I only leave it on to allow me to make bottles or make her lunch.
btw she only naps for 20 mins 3 times a day.

Old 12-08-08, 09:21 AM
is relaxed and refreshed after vacation!
VIP Member

Thanked 481 Times
Weekly Activity 0.37%

I remember having this issue with the boys

now it's easier- bc C can occupy L for a few mins!

when they are at school-- she is either:

- sleeping (then I rush like a mad woman to do the things I cant do when she is awake- laundry, cleaning, TBC

! )

- in the high chair eating cheerios while I make dinner or lunch etc (that's where she is right now- and my laptop is in the kitchen)

- in the pack n play with toys- right now I have a bowl, a wooden spoon, and some baby toys in there (this is usually good for 10-15min) oh and she loves baby books now too

- on the floor - but not for long bc she is too fast and crawls away and I can't gate off the whole room bc the doorways are too large

- or we're on the go- she is happiest when we are out somewhere and there are things to look at etc

I honestly don't 'play' too much with her- i know that'll change around 18mos or so....

I did baby einstein, etc with the boys- but now I don't really have a dvd player in my living room and there isnt too much baby stuff on demand for verizon (or I havent found it) and L isnt too interested in the tv...

Old 12-08-08, 09:26 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 245 Times
Weekly Activity 0.37%

We played some, I did let my kids watch a little TV (selected programs

), I also let them figure out how to entertain themselves. I think teaching them while they are young that mommy and daddy aren't *always* going to be able to drop everything and come be the constant companion/play friend is a good thing. KWIM? I also rotated the toys- so that every 1-2 months it was a different batch of toys I had out and things felt "new" and interesting.

As for games we played- we played ball, I played with them with their toys- we did some very simple crafts (great for Christmas gifts for grandparents/aunts/uncles

)- what ever held their attention- I did.

Old 12-08-08, 10:11 AM
is lovin her sweet baby girl
Therese, mama 2 Lucy

Thanked 280 Times
Weekly Activity 0.37%

thanks girls

I do most of that stuff. She is good in the high chair for about 10 mins

I suppose I'm just happy to know that what I am doing is right and that there are others who are in or have been in the same situation.

I'm working on her getting to occupy herself a bit more..a work in progress

Old 12-08-08, 11:29 AM
is hoping for good news soon!
VIP Member

Thanked 123 Times
Weekly Activity 0.37%

Oh I feel you. I had/have those same issues. I know for us, we spent so much time with Joy that she won't really play by herself, even now at 1 1/2. It's hard at Lucy's age because they want to be mobile but are not 100%. It does get much easier when they can walk and destroy the house in 5 minutes.

I actually remember talking to her ped about this, because at one point if we were not laying on the floor playing with her she would cry.

Things Joy and I did at 9 1/2 months:

Trips to the library

Trips to the store, (she still loves to go shopping)

Lunch dates with other Mom's

Reading books

She loves my wallet, and still does. I took out all the change, and would hand it to her.

Rotate toys. This really does help!

And don't worry, Christmas is almost here so I'm sure she's going to get some fun new things to entertain her.

Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

March 2018 Baby Photo Contest Winner
March 2018 Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations Wasim!

Calculators & Tools