Baby Corner

Old 02-23-10, 10:41 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,117 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 51.67%
Default Riddle me this

I put this here because I don't get much action on my playgroup and everyone congregates here.

Josh is in pre-k. Each day, they have 3 "jobs" to do (kind of like centers). One is snack, one is an art project, and one is usually something paper pencil, like an easy dot to dot, a coloring sheet, a copying activity, etc. They're short and easy... all within Josh's ability and attention span.

99% of what he brings home that was the paper-pencil task, or coloring task, is a total mess and not even close to his best. For the first part of the year, I didn't say anything about it. Around Christmas, every now and then, I would show him something that looked particularly undone and ask him casually about it. A couple times, I did talk to him about how important it is to do his best, and we worked together to fix or improve it.

He is getting ready to start kindergarten now. He is still not trying even close to his best on his papers, or even making a minimal effort. I would like to have him fix the papers that he doesn't try his best on at home, but I don't want him to resent having to work on them or feel like it's punishment. On the other hand, I don't want him to think it's ok to put forth zero effort on his schoolwork either.

What do you think?

Old 02-23-10, 11:59 PM
is Living a new type of life
Spring is in the Air

Thanked 523 Times
Weekly Activity 1.67%

You may have mentioned this prior but how many kids are in the class?
If it were me I would talk to the teacher and see if she can "follow" him through his work to completion.
I agree he needs to understand that he needs to complete his work but also that when he finishes it at home its not a punishment.
I hope you can get it figured out and Kindergarden is a breeze for him!
Thank you countrycutieluv!
3Princes (02-24-10)

Old 02-24-10, 01:25 AM
~~Sharyn~~

Thanked 575 Times
Level: 4
Weekly Activity 1176.67%

Rachel was given an optional homework packet in Pre-K and she told me "I'm NOT doing no homework!".

I didn't think she even knew what homework was!

I wouldn't worry about it until further in the year. My kids had a huge jump in maturity between pre-K & Kindy.
Thank you 2babygirls!
3Princes (02-24-10)

Old 02-24-10, 01:35 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,117 Times
Weekly Activity 51.67%

Thanks ladies!
DH asked about it today at school, and here it turns out that those papers arent one of the "jobs" but extra stuff that is an option to do while other people are finishing up their jobs. So he might start on it, and then it's time to clean up so they tell him to take it home.
I'm glad that 1) he's not goofing off in school and 2) we don't have to fix all these papers!
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools