Baby Corner

Old 07-16-08, 11:42 AM
VIP Member

Location: Originally from PA. Now live in OK. Did, however, spend 5 yrs in HK.
Thanked 129 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 1.33%
Red face Rising Food Costs

Anyone else notice how a lot of the food prices are skyrocketing because of the weather and the gas prices?

I haven't paid that close of attention, but my friend said she spent $50 more than normal at the grocery store the other day and had less stuff than she normally buys. So, I guess it's true.

Saw this article at Nubella, and thought I'd share since it's about this same thing.

Quote:
By Theresa Stahl, RD, LDN

Q: Lately, it seems as if unhealthy foods are so inexpensive, while healthy foods such as fruits, vegetables, and organic items are so expensive. How can I eat healthy on a budget?

A: Rising food costs have all of us paying more attention to our choices at the grocery store as well as to our grocery bills. Here are some tips to help you eat healthy while sticking to a reasonable budget:

• Take advantage of shopping at local farmers’ markets.
• Plant your own garden to save on fresh produce.
• Choose seasonal produce at your grocery store.
• Keep a running grocery list on your refrigerator, and always take your list to the store.
• Review your grocery store’s flyer for weekly specials.
• Sit down with your grocery store flyer, coupons and shopping list, and map out your strategy before you get to the store. Arrange your grocery list according to the sections of your store to save time.
• Never shop when you’re hungry. You’ll spend more on impulse buying and blow your budget quickly.
• Factor leftovers into your weekly menus. If your family doesn’t like to eat leftovers, then freeze leftover foods immediately to save for another meal at a later date. But don’t put your foods in the freezer and forget about them. Plan days for eating out of the freezer to make sure you don’t waste frozen foods.
• Learn to be satisfied with less food. This will not only save you money but will also save calories and help promote weight loss and/or weight maintenance.
• Empty calorie foods such as cookies and cakes and candy and soda may seem cheap or may seem like they’re always on sale, but you can save money by not buying them at all. They really don’t supply nutrients to your diet anyway.
• Eat vegetarian meals that center around inexpensive beans instead of meat.
• Try frozen or canned foods when fresh ones are expensive. These may be just as nutritious as fresh foods due to modern freezing and canning techniques.
• Buy generic/store brands which are less expensive than heavily advertised brands.
• Buy in bulk, and freeze in smaller portions for later use.

Remember, eating healthy on a budget takes planning, but it is possible to save money while making healthy choices.

Old 07-16-08, 11:47 AM
is worn out from Football 24/7
Proud Mommy

Thanked 95 Times
Weekly Activity 1.33%

Good article.

Old 07-16-08, 11:48 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 185 Times
Weekly Activity 8%

I have put a lot of extra effort to making our grocery bill cheaper. I don't buy a lot of prepackaged foods anymore. Like frozen waffles. No more shredded cheese...I own a cheese grater! And I have cut back on my own indulgences. LIke Pepsi. Cut that way back. Oh, and things like paper towels and toilet paper...buy bulk for sure.

Old 07-16-08, 11:52 AM
~Nightwalker~

Thanked 35 Times
Weekly Activity 1.33%

Yes, our grocery bill has gone up, a little, mostly because of the produce.

Old 07-16-08, 11:53 AM
is loving my new job!
Kaitlyn & Nicole's Mommy

Thanked 415 Times
Level: 5
Weekly Activity 1281.33%

Ahh..yes, really noticed it last week when a gallon of whole milk went to $4.19 from $3.99.
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations Zchuff!

Calculators & Tools