Baby Corner

Old 05-09-13, 06:30 PM
is a stay at home Mommy<3
Community Member

Thanked 4 Times
Level: 8
Weekly Activity 3553.57%
Question St. Johns Worth?

Have any of you ever heard of/tried St Johns Worth? Its an herbal vitamin you can take for depression or anxiety. Its natural vitamin not prescription pills. I was wondering if it has helped anyone with slight depression? I'm wanting to try it out.
Please don't say go talk to a Doctor.

Old 05-12-13, 11:47 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Level: 7
Weekly Activity 3292.86%

Hi MollysMommy, I'm writing my response with the assumption that you're asking for your own use, if that's not the case, I apologize in advance.
I haven't personally used St. Johns Wort but it's very widely used in Europe and I have friends who have used and recommended it. My brother used it after quitting smoking, to help with the irritability. I have the impression that it really works, and has little side effects.

But I'd like to make another suggestion as well. Here's my story, I was raised with a chronically depressed mother, who had plenty of emotional problems. Therefore I never learned the coping skills and was often depressed myself. In my early twenties, I started using Prozac and similar pills, and each time, they cheered me up for a short time and then, I found myself where I started. Then I learned about the cognitive behavioral therapy. I never actually went to a therapist, but learned how it works and looked at my life and thinking patterns and made some changes. You can get the book, Mind over Mood, which explains the concept very well. This approach really changed my life and now I feel so much more in control. It's basically being aware of your mood (being "mindful"), and whenever you're feeling irritable or dwelling on negative feelings, taking control of the situation. Also, realizing that the people we associate with, and how they treat us is OUR choice. Like the saying goes, you can't change others, you can only change yourself. And if you don't like how another person treats you, you can remove them from your life. If you don't do that, you choose to accept that behaviour, so the behaviour is actually below the threshold of unacceptableness (is that a word?) or you're getting compensated in another way for that mistreatment. Whether you remove the person from your life, you explain them how they make you feel and give notice that it would lead to stopping contact with them or if you end up accepting this behaviour, in the end it's your own choice and you feel in control of your life.
This approach literally changed my life, and I feel I should spread the word and hope it helps other people too. Sometimes it's hard to tell people though. Because if you tell someone who's feeling down, "be mindful, take control of your life and feelings" it comes off as victim blaming, which is the last thing I'd want to do. But really, medications and supplements are band-aids at best. If they do help you, it's only temporary, maybe to get you through a rough patch but mindful and aware living can help a person indefinitely. And most importantly, you would be a great role-model for your children to be strong and self-aware people.

Sorry for too much blabbing, I wish you bright, healthy, happy days!

Old 05-31-13, 02:10 AM
LilFlowerChild

Thanked 0 Times
Level: 2
Weekly Activity 164.29%

If you want to say away from prescription pills I would try 5HTP. You can get it anywhere you can buy vitamins. It really worked for me much better then St. John's. Half of my friends are on it now too and love it. I hope you try it. Hope this helped.
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools