Skip to main content
Baby Corner logo

Welcome! Register today! | Login
Forums > Parent to Parent > Ask a Question >
Starting Solids Questions

Starting Solids Questions

Reply Post New Topic

• Mark'sbabygirl Mark'sbabygirl's Avatar 01-19-10 | 03:33 PM
  • We just started Hope on solids about 4 weeks ago..we had been giving her a tablespoon of oatmeal in her bottle three times a day (for her reflux, but she didn't want it in her bottle anymore so we started actually feeding it to her. She LOVES her oatmeal and will eat a ton of it if we let her (we have also given her a few fruits and veggies too). She is so ready to eat- loves to open her mouth wide and eat off of the spoon and even tries to help by grabbing the spoon and putting it in her mouth. She won't eat if she is at all full- so the last couple of days we offered her the solids first and then the bottle. She liked that fine, but then she is too full for a whole bottle (usually only 4 or so oz of breastmilk) and the last couple of nights she woke up REALLY early because she was hungry. My guess is that with the oatmeal she isn't getting enough fat to keep her satiated (she was going 10-12 hours at night and the last couple it has been 6-8).

What are your thoughts? How have some of you introduced solids? Do you do food or milk first? DH is going to just give her 1 tablespoon of oatmeal today and hopefully she will drink more milk and sleep better (she would eat WAY more oatmeal if we let her- she loves it!). She is eating three times a day- in the beginning we were feeding her in between bottle times, but yesterday she ate first and then had her bottle, but then she only took 2 oz because she was full from the oatmeal.

TIA!!!!
  • 3Princes 01-19-10 | 03:38 PM
  • This is one area where opinions differ widely, even from ped to ped in the same practice.

Our ped told me to offer the solids first, then the breast. Is she still getting bottles in between mealtimes? Because you could do oatmeal, the bottle, and then before bed, give her another bottle.
  • Mark'sbabygirl Mark'sbabygirl's Avatar 01-19-10 | 03:44 PM
  • Thanks Jeanne...that's exactly what we did last night. She ate and had about 2 oz of bm..then 2 hours later she had 4 oz before she went to bed- and she woke up 7 hours later hungry (I am NOT complaining- 7 hours is GREAT- it's just that I am worried she isn't getting enough breastmilk if she's filling up on oatmeal and that that is why she is waking up early). And, yes she is getting a bottle between mealtimes if the timing works out.
  • brandimichelle brandimichelle's Avatar 01-19-10 | 03:46 PM

•  

Our peds told me to always offer the breast first, let her finish there, and then offer her solids... and if she didn't want them, to try between feedings...

I agree with Jeanne... very very different opinions here!
  • Sheri Sheri's Avatar 01-19-10 | 03:58 PM
  • I just noticed in your siggy that Hope is almost 6 months old. Could it be that this is the onset of a growth spurt? I'd try a couple things- breastmilk first then the solids and see how she makes out. If that doesn't work, she may just need an overall increase in both, KWIM?
Thank you Sheri!
Mark'sbabygirl (01-19-10)