Baby Corner

Old 11-17-09, 03:09 PM
Lovin My Family!

Thanked 124 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 7.5%
Question Strangers touching

What do you do when strangers come up and reach to touch your baby? Do you let them or cause some kind of interference?

I'm sick of people wanting to touch DS! My stepmother and I stayed in St Augustine for a girls weekend this past weekend and everyone kept wanting to touch him. They wouldn't even ask, they would just do it before I even had a chance to say something!

Old 11-17-09, 04:01 PM
is a mother of 2 beautiful kids!
Grounded Dreamer

Thanked 510 Times
Level: 9
Weekly Activity 4220%

um, I haven't actually worked up the nerve to stop anyone or tell them after they have already done it to not to do it again, so I'm no help!

The wierd thing was, it had never happened until we took her to a chinese buffet place. Now it seems like EVERY TIME we go to a chinese buffet place, the waitress/waiter just HAS to touch her cheek. I've also had older/senior citizens that will touch her at the grocery store. Oh, and most recently a little girl about 7 or so was actually PICKING dd up & trying to "help" her on the playground at the park. I don't know how many times I told her to put her down, she can walk & can do it herself, etc.

Last edited by MrsS1stbaby; 11-17-09 at 04:20 PM.

Old 11-17-09, 06:11 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,117 Times
Weekly Activity 38.75%

I am pretty shy in real life but I *don't* and won't let strangers touch the baby, especially on the face or on the hands which go straight into his mouth. In the store, I keep the baby in the infant seat and hover over him so I can ward off any strangers. When we're out otherwise, I put the baby in the stroller and back right up when someone tries to touch him. I always say-- "sorry, I'm an overbearing/nervous/germaphobe Mom!" and smile. It's totally a lie, but who cares?

I do let them touch their feet if they ask, and one time a lady asked if I would take off his little baby hat to see his hair and I said sure and did. Babies are miracles and I love sharing him with other people but from arms reach!

Old 11-17-09, 06:54 PM
Lovin My Family!

Thanked 124 Times
Weekly Activity 7.5%

I'm just so paranoid right now, especially with the swine flu going around. It seemed like all the employees at every store wanted to touch him, and just think about how many people and germy money that they come in contact with. I've only had it happen in his infant seat 2 times, but while we were out over the weekend he was in his stroller it happened a LOT! I even thought it wouldn't happen in his stroller because its the kind that you can turn around where they are facing you. It didn't help at all, so I'm thinking I'm going to put a little paper on the safety bar that says "No touching!" LOL!!

Old 11-17-09, 08:10 PM
~~Sharyn~~

Thanked 575 Times
Level: 4
Weekly Activity 882.5%

I dunno...I think it was more common years back to let everybody touch & hold your baby so I can understand older people not realizeing its not PC anymore.

As for a 7 hr old helping a younger stranger, I wouldn't think anything of it although if it was my baby I'd just watch to be sure she didn't get hurt.
Post Reply Post New Topic  

Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

July 2018 Baby Photo Contest Winner
July 2018 Winner
Congratulations Willow!

Calculators & Tools