Skip to main content
Baby Corner logo

Welcome! Register today! | Login
Forums > Parent to Parent > Ask a Question >
trucks, suvs, cars and 3 kids.... wwyd?

trucks, suvs, cars and 3 kids.... wwyd?

Reply Post New Topic

• 3Princes 07-29-09 | 08:42 PM
  • If you make it through this you're practically a saint.

As of now we have 3 vehicles:
    1) my rendezvous- lease will be up next May. Could fit 3 kids but will require quite a bit of climbing over seats etc to buckle everyone in. No way we can also fit stroller and such. Decent gas mileage, good car.

2)dh's ranger: completely paid for, but we can't ride in it together. We use it to pull the trailer (the kind you haul stuff in) about 5 times a year I'd say.

3) dh's fusion: he loves this car. great gas mileage. He uses it for a work car. It's a stick shift which I don't know how to drive. However it will also not be able to haul 3 kids without putting one in the front. He has the air bag turn off automatically thing, but we still aren't comfy with it.

So once this baby is born, we will only have 1 vehicle that everyone can ride in. I could learn to drive dh's car, no problem. This doesn't seem practical though, because dh works 45 mins away, and very unpredictable hours. He could take the "family car" with him to work thinking he would pick up the kids, and then be told he has to work overtime. Then, I'd have no way to get them.

SO WHAT WOULD YOU DO? I guess I should mention that we have 2 carpayments now, and we also can get the gm employee discount.

We've come up with a few options...
    1) trade in dh's truck and car on an suv for me (like a explorer) that could pull the trailer and fit 3 kids across the backseat, then buy my car when the lease is up, which still has decent mileage, and can fit the 3 kids in a pinch.

2) trade in the truck and the car on a suv type thing for dh that can fit the kids and pull a trailer and then get me a minivan.

anyone still with me???? wwyd? It seems like a long way away, BUT once school starts for me time will fly by.
  • Valleygirl Valleygirl's Avatar 07-29-09 | 08:56 PM
  • Can I have my halo now?

I have to say that we love our minivan. We had a pilot, midsize suv, we loved it but with the 3 kids I would not trade the minivan for anything. There are so many seating options, the autoslide doors are a lifesaver, and it gets pretty good gas mileage. I think with 3 kids and all their stuff, if you are taking trips and such you are going to need something more along the size of a Expedition, which I know from a friend is brutal on gas.
    Can you keep dh's truck, he could use it for commuting and hauling stuff and then trade in his fusion and use the employee discount for buying a new to you minivan?
    We had a truck that we used that way and it worked out well for us, until the truck had two tires in the grave.
Thank you Valleygirl!
3Princes (07-29-09)
  • 3Princes 07-29-09 | 09:00 PM

•  

It could except then we still only have 1 vehicle that works for all the kids.

Last edited by 3Princes; 07-29-09 at 09:02 PM..
  • hklord hklord's Avatar 07-29-09 | 09:13 PM
  • Hmm I would think maybe a minivan would be good for you So maybe your second option

Thank you hklord!
3Princes (07-29-09)
  • Sheri Sheri's Avatar 07-29-09 | 09:16 PM
  • Well what works for us is having a minivan for everyone to ride in and a small car for dh for work. It basically only gets used for work unless I go somewhere alone. But where you kind of need a truck, I'd probably keep that- and go for a minivan (did I just say that out loud???? LOL)
    Good luck with your decision!

Thank you Sheri!
3Princes (07-29-09)

Latest Articles

Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

July 2018 Baby Photo Contest Winner

July 2018 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations Willow!!