Baby Corner

Baby, Trying to Conceive and Pregnancy Message Boards

Lost Your Password?

Baby Corner Message Board > Parent to Parent > Ask a Question Vacations and school

Vacations and school

Post Reply Post New Topic  

Old 04-07-10, 01:01 PM
is lovin' my sweet girl!
Avery Claire's Mama!

Thanked 700 Times
Level: 2
Weekly Activity 201.67%
Default Vacations and school

Do you all take your kids out of school for vacations?

Old 04-07-10, 01:14 PM
is enjoying life!
Another Perfect Day

Thanked 1,422 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 135%

No we schedule around summer, fall, winter and spring breaks. You are only allowed a handful of unexcused days and to be honest they have about 25 days of holidays through the school year off plus the whole summer.

Old 04-07-10, 01:20 PM
is proud of her kids.
.....is rewarded!

Thanked 906 Times
Weekly Activity 18.33%

Since DH is a teacher we really can't on all fronts. LOL!

That being said if my kids were doing well and it was a once in a lifetime type of thing I would have no problem pulling my kids out. Only if it was less than 3-4 days though and only if they were doing well academically.

Preschool I had no problem keeping them home but now that DD is in elementary I would be more hesitant.

My biggest pet peeve with DH's job (besides the lower pay) is that he can't take time off since he has July and August off already. I'm not a fan of traveling in the heat of summer. I need a break in the dead of winter to get away from the cold weather we get. LOL! In the summer our weather here is great so no need to escape.

I know you guys like to take trips and I love that. I think it is great and broadens a childs horizons and makes them more adaptable.

We definitely miss the get up and go part of having younger kids not in school.

Old 04-07-10, 11:55 PM
is all about the PINK!!!
Proud American Teacher!!

Thanked 652 Times
Weekly Activity 10%

As a rule, NO WAY! I can't -- I'm a teacher.

I did "let" DH take the boys to Florida for 5 days in March because his parents paid for it all. J missed 3 days of school and did all his work while visiting with Nana who is a retired teacher.

As a teacher, it really messes with me. I know not all families can go over school breaks, but it is a huge hassle to get work together for so many kids traveling out of school for different days and help them catch up with other stuff when they get back. HUGE HASSLE!!!!

Old 04-08-10, 10:16 AM
is ready for some football!!
Michelle - VIP CL

Thanked 793 Times
Weekly Activity 51.67%

We pulled DS out of school (kindergarten) for 4 days in December to go to Disney World. I feel as a parent, it is my choice. My son is doing well in school ( so far) and as long as that continues, if I chose to pull him out for a family vacation, I will. I asked the teacher to send home all the worksheets and stuff before we left and we spent 2 days before the trip working on all of it. She also asked us to do a little journal of each day's experience and DS presented it as a book report like to the class upon returning. So I think that it was all fine.

Latest Articles
When Becoming Parents Kills Your Coupledom
It's a common problem after baby arrives to forget about the most important part of your family: Your Marriage. Find out why marriages seem to fall apart after baby, and how to get back to being the couple you once were.

How to Afford a Baby in the U.S. Today
It's true that raising a baby through the college years is expensive, especially today. However, with savvy financial skills, any couple can afford a baby today. Learn how!

Celebrity Baby News: August 2014
August 2014 was hopping with new celebrity births and pregnancy announcements from celebrities like Christina Aguilera, Kelsey Grammer, Christian Bale, and Christina Ricci. Get the details here!

Bexco Recalls 1,100 4-in-1 Convertible Cribs
Bexco's Franklin & Ben Mason style 4-in-1 style cribs due to fall and entrapment hazards. Get information about how to order a repair kit to keep your baby safe.

Should Pregnant Women Eat More Tuna?
Consumer reports disagrees with the US Food and Drug Administration about the amount of safe tuna fish consumption in pregnant women?

July 2014 Baby Photo Contest Winner

Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations bexiboo85!

Calculators & Tools